Skimmer weir stuck up

FunFinder

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2015
Cajun country, Louisiana
I have a Hawyard wide mouth skimmer and the weir does not go down when the pump turns on, so I can not put my pump on auto mode until I fix this problem. The door does not seem to be really stuck, because when we swim, just gentle ripples cause it to open and close. I've searched old posts but I don't have a rock stuck in there, my foam seems to be in the right place, the only plastic that is touching the skimmer are the two hinge tabs that hold the weir in place, I don't have the door on backwards, so I'm still confused- please help.

Sounds like there's too much gap on the sides or something. When the water drops in the skimmer when the pump kicks on, the weight of the water outside should push it open. So the water must not be dropping, which means it's not pumping or the water is coming in from somewhere else. And since it's pumping, water has to be refilling the skimmer well from somewhere.

Thanks Richard. Water is pouring in from the sides, but it is not enough for the pump not to start sucking some air. I'll try to take a picture or video today. Since this is my first pool with a skimmer, I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to work. Since I have an intex ultra frame rectangular pool, the side wall is somewhat curved and the back of the skimmer is tilted up, thus keeping an adequate water level in there may be part of the issue?

Maybe you just need to raise your pool water height higher. As Richard said, the water from the pool pushes the door down. If there's not enough height, there won't be enough leverage for the water to effect the weir.

That's probably a good starting point. I think you should feel free to experiment. I think it's a balance between having the weir act as debris collector but not inhibit the inward flow of water when the pump is running. I'd err on the side of keeping air out of the system with a little extra water height.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.