Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer weir stuck up

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Skimmer weir stuck up

I have a Hawyard wide mouth skimmer and the weir does not go down when the pump turns on, so I can not put my pump on auto mode until I fix this problem. The door does not seem to be really stuck, because when we swim, just gentle ripples cause it to open and close. I've searched old posts but I don't have a rock stuck in there, my foam seems to be in the right place, the only plastic that is touching the skimmer are the two hinge tabs that hold the weir in place, I don't have the door on backwards, so I'm still confused- please help.
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer weir stuck up

Sounds like there's too much gap on the sides or something. When the water drops in the skimmer when the pump kicks on, the weight of the water outside should push it open. So the water must not be dropping, which means it's not pumping or the water is coming in from somewhere else. And since it's pumping, water has to be refilling the skimmer well from somewhere.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard. Water is pouring in from the sides, but it is not enough for the pump not to start sucking some air. I'll try to take a picture or video today. Since this is my first pool with a skimmer, I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to work. Since I have an intex ultra frame rectangular pool, the side wall is somewhat curved and the back of the skimmer is tilted up, thus keeping an adequate water level in there may be part of the issue?
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I know I've had to sand a bit on the sides of my weir door when it gets finicky.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe you just need to raise your pool water height higher. As Richard said, the water from the pool pushes the door down. If there's not enough height, there won't be enough leverage for the water to effect the weir.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

I know if my water level is about an inch too low, the weir will sometimes get stuck. Once I raise the water level up, it's fine.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Is the ideal water height 2/3 to the top of the door?

8. Back To Top    #8

That's probably a good starting point. I think you should feel free to experiment. I think it's a balance between having the weir act as debris collector but not inhibit the inward flow of water when the pump is running. I'd err on the side of keeping air out of the system with a little extra water height.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.