Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Test Help

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Test Help

I am having trouble understanding how to correctly perform this test, I've watched the videos and have read instructions several times.(I have the Taylor TF-100 test kit)

The black dot fades but doesnt fully disappear, all of my other test numbers are where they should be(TA at 60 May need to raise?) and water is crystal. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in Advance
    17x37 IG 20,000 gallons Pro Grid DE Hayward filter, Lighted waterfall with slide use BBB.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Test Help

If the dot never fully disappears, then your CYA is less than 20ppm. You can pour the solution back and forth so you can re-read the test several times and average your results. Sometimes it helps to look at the dot with one eye, look away a few seconds, then look for the dot again. Consistent lighting is important, so full sunlight, back to the sun holding the reading vial at waist level is recommended. If you can still see the outline of the dot, assume the CYA is 20 and add enough to reach 30ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank You for your help, would you recommend I use liquid muriatric acid?
    17x37 IG 20,000 gallons Pro Grid DE Hayward filter, Lighted waterfall with slide use BBB.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees View Post
    Thank You for your help, would you recommend I use liquid muriatric acid?
    No, that won't affect CYA. CYA stands for cyanuric acid; this is a separate chemical, often called stabilizer in the pool store. Adding muriatic acid will lower the pH, but will do nothing for your CYA levels.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again Zea