Low Salt Issue

wkusae31

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Lexington, KY
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, but today, I got a "Low Salt" and "Check Cell" light on my Aqua Rite SWG. The display gave me a reading of 2700 for salt. Here are some stats:

1. Over past 24 hours, my pool has filled up an additional 3"-4" with rain water. We are getting quite a bit of rain. Temperature outside was upper 80s yesterday and upper 70s today.

2. Salt test yesterday: 3000.
Salt test today: 2800.

3. FC yesterday: 3
FC today: 5 (I noticed my FC was low so I ran my SWG for 24 hours @ 50%. I had only been running it for 4-6 hours for the last 7 days at 40%).

4. CYA: around 60.

5. I bought this home in September 2014. I have no idea when the cell was last cleaned. I opened this pool on May 6, 2015.

Based on my manual, it is stating that I should clean the cell. Here are my questions:

1. Should I clean the cell? It seems I've read on here that the cell would have an issue if my test readings and the display readings from the SWG were consistently off by more than 400. My SWG display is at 2700 and I did two tests today and they both came up to 2800. My display and my tests have never been more than 200-300 apart. So does this mean that the cell does not need to be cleaned or is going bad?

2. Or is this a simple issue as to add more salt to keep up with the increase in water in the pool?

Thanks for all of your guidance and help.

If your "inspect cell" light is on, you need to clean your cell, following the manufacturer's instructions. I use a number 11 winter plug on the end of the cell that doesn't have the power cord, put it in a bucket, then put a mixture of muriatic acid and water (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it's 4 parts water to 1 part acid). Then I let it sit for about 5 minutes and then take the plug out, and give it a good rinsing with a garden hose. The panel is configured to come up that the cell needs to be cleaned after so many hours of use and sounds like yours could be a regular scheduled maintenance cleaning is due.

I would also add salt and you can use the pool calculator to determine how much to add.

Thanks for the advice. I had thought about cleaning it, but I have procrastinated and have not bought a cell stand yet. From YouTube videos, it looks like a simple process, as long as I don't have 3rd degree acid burns. Lol.

Hello, wkusae31,:wave:

Just a follow up. I'm in my second year with my SWG and while getting the pool "right" for summer, mine would give me the inspect cell on occasion along with low salt. That was when I had pump running at least 8 hrs a day.
once pool was clear and I added some salt all is fine.

Also one day my display will show 3700 and a day or two later 3800. I think that is when cell is generating chlorine from the salt and when it turns back into salt the displays the extra salt.

If you haven't checked out pool school and the section pertaining to SWG pools, I highly recommend it, as it helps us understand our SWGs' and what levels we should run at. I followed those settings and verything is humming along great :thumleft:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.