Question about chlorine - I will always have leaves in my pool

Inflatableman1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
Playa Coronado/Panama
Hi all,

See this pic:

This pool overflows into a separate volume. Around here that volume is called "the Channel". This is where the skimming action takes place. I have the ability to line up suction from the channel and return to the pool. Any leaves/debris that are picked up with the suction lined up to the channel end up in the skimmer basket at the pump. This works fine. The main problem is that lots of leaves and such settle out to the bottom in the channel, and will stay there until the channel is cleaned out.

It's a large PITA to clean the channel. It won't be happening on a weekly basis. I'm shooting for every month or two. So basically, I will always have decaying organic matter in my pool. In much larger quantities than most pools I'm assuming.

I would like to know how this affects FC levels. Does a leaf constantly consume chlorine until it has completely decomposed, or does it get to a point where it is "chlorinated" (don't know the proper word to use)? I understand that the more organic material, the more chlorine demand, but I am curious if that is just "up to a point", or if there is a demand until that organic material is removed from the system?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Well, it's why one needs to clean their skimmer and pump baskets and clean or backwash their filter. These are designed not just to collect debris from the pool so that you don't see it, but for you to physically remove it from the water.

Well, it's why one needs to clean their skimmer and pump baskets and clean or backwash their filter. These are designed not just to collect debris from the pool so that you don't see it, but for you to physically remove it from the water.

Thanks again. Was hoping that at some point the debris wouldn't place a demand on chlorine. Was trying to determine when to schedule regular OCLTs, but they won't necessarily read true if my channel isn't clean. Something for me to think about. It's an unfortunate design flaw that we will have to work around.

That's a really nice pool. Where is the channel? How do you access it? It sounds like its set up like a commercial pool with the trough all the way around. Is there some sort of storage tank also to maintain a consistent water level, or does it have an auto fill to keep it full?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where is the channel? How do you access it?

You're right. The trough/channel runs all the way around. Not sure on the exact dimensions as I wasn't here when that part was done, but it's a fairly large volume. Still trying to nail that number down. No autofill. The volume is big enough that if you keep it fairly full you don't have to worry about filling for probably a couple of weeks.

So the pool itself always stays full. Typically, during normal circulation your suction is open to the channel, main return and the jacuzzi. All returns to the pool. But not 100% true overflow with that setting. When you want it looking purdy and perfect, you only open suction from the channel. Then you get a perfect overflow.

We just kind of made this up as we went along. It was the first one the guy built. I left some things in his hands that I should have been more involved in. So there are some issues. Like access. Can only access from the top, the space is about an inch. Two 4" drains out the side to wash to. Should have had a couple of inspection panels. Doesn't drain 100% true to the two 4" drains so cleaning it out is not near as simple as it could be. If I was doing it again, there would be some changes. Unfortunately, I have no plans to move any time soon, so will make due with this system as it is. We are still quite happy with the result though.

Forgot to mention. It's unscreened. Don't like the look with a screen at deck level, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up making something to fit someday.

Last edited:
How do you even clean it out? Open the drains and pray everything gets swept out? Will a pressure washer wand fit in there to help sweep it out? I just looked at your other pictures. You're gonna hate him when those pvc ball valves need to be replaced. Not much room between them and the concrete. Do leaves and stuff usually settle on that 1 inch opening and get blown away, or do they always get sucked down in the channel?

Yes, pressure wash to the drains. Works okay. Visibility is poor so you get a fair bit of splash back in the noggin. It's not too bad.

A good bit of breeze and most of the leaves end up in the channel. When it's calm they stay on the edge. I'd say 25% of the leaves end up inside. And 3/4 of them make it to the skimmer at the pump.

Don't get me started on Panamanian PVC plumbing. Spend more time chipping concrete than pipe fitting. I told him I wanted threaded risers. Oh well. Looks purdy...... I'm hesitant to pinch a valve during vacuuming just because the thought of washout gets me thinking about re plumbing the whole setup. How long do PVC valves last anyway?

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are 6-7 years old and outside and they are still operational. One handle got brittle and broke, but mine have unions on each side so they are easy to replace. I would operate them occasionally just to make sure they stay freed up. With proper tfp chemical levels and being indoor, they'll probably last a while.

Mine are exposed a high of around 100 in the summer and low teens and occasional single digits in the winter. Usually when the PVC valves fail they freeze up and won't operate. Sometimes they will leak where the handle is attached, but that's usually after they have frozen up and won't operate and someone tried to forcefully operate them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.