Catching algae early - Do I have to SLAM?

May 1, 2013
Advice on optimizing the return to clear

Checked my levels today and the chlorine was at basically 0. PH was up to 7.8. Lowered PH, put in a gallon of bleach and turned the chlorine generator to Super Chlorinate. Chlorine level is now at 3. But, pool was looking cloudy this morning and has been getting exponentially worse as the day progresses. I think algae is setting in. Since I am catching it early, what is the quickest route to killing the algae and being able to swim again? I will bring the chlorine levels to SLAM levels now and will confirm the algae is gone with overnight test. Do I then wait for chlorine levels to return to below 8 and the water clears? Pool masters, what would you do to remedy the situation I am in quickly? Supposed to be having a party. THANK YOU!

Catching an early algae bloom because I let my chlorine levels creep to nearly 0. Didn't have the SWG turned up high enough. Question, can I just crank my chlorine up to around 8 and try to kill the algae so that we can still swim tomorrow? Or do I need to go through the SLAM process and therefore having to cancel part plans for tomorrow? Thank you.

Re: Advice on optimizing the return to clear

Very good. Then since you were low (zero) on FC and you suspect algae has settled (which it probably did), I would SLAM. Knock it out quickly in hopes of having a shorter SLAM. Just make sure you pass the 3 SLAM criteria:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5

On another note .. I guess you'll need to investigate why your SWG didn't maintain your FC for you. Malfunction or just setting error? Super-chlorinate may help, but you might find it advisable to augment with liquid bleach initially as well to help take some stress of the SWG ... just until everything comes back-up to normal.

Just make sure you keep your FC at SLAM level based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). You can also post all of your test results if you would like for us to double-check for you.

I merged your 2 similar threads. Please do not duplicate posts.

Yes, any sign of algae you need to follow the entire SLAM process. If you catch it early, the process will go quicker.
EDIT: And a FC of 8ppm is no where near high enough. the shock level depends on your CYA level as seen in the FC/CYA Chart.

Yeah, I think I had the setting too low. We had some very mild weather here in Kansas City for a while but the heat and sun showed up. Think it was my fault and not the SWG. Question, since I am catching this early do I need to SLAM? Supposed to be having a family party over here tomorrow and this would definitely cancel it. I know the odds are against me, but wanted to here what possible from someone that knows. ALso, my CYA is at 60. PH at 7.7. FC at 3. Salt at 3200. Thanks.

Yes- SLAM now. Don't wait or it will get worse. The water is still safe to swim as long as you do not exceed your SLAM FC level. At a CYA of 60, an FC of 3 is too low on a regular day. :) Start now! Have a great party!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, use this time before your party to remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times during the SLAM. After that party, make sure you check that FC right away since the swimmer's load will certainly take its toll..

Great news about party. I thought chlorine levels above 8 were to much to swim. Shows how much I know. My pool is 29K gallons. My CYA was at 60 (I need to bump this up a little). According to the chart, my shock level is 24 ppm. That has me putting in 9+ gallons of bleach. I am safe to swim in a chlorine level of 24? Can I swim today, too, as long as the levels do now exceed the SLAM FC level? Do I have to wait any amount of time? LOVE this site and everyone's quick response. Very convenient and extremely valuable. Thanks.

As long as you do not exceed the SLAM FC based on your current CYA, yes, it is okay. If your CYA was lower like in a non-SWG pool, then no. But the CYA and FC work together to keep balance. That's why the Chlorine/CYA chart is one of your primary tools in pool care. :) Just make sure to let the chlorine circulate for a good 30-60 minutes before taking any new tests or hoping in right away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

To slam, the FC should be at or above shock level. If you want to try to be clean by tomorrow, then don't try to swim today.

Yes, safe to swim at any FC under shock level.

Okay, I am good to swim if FC is at or below SLAM value based upon CYA chart. The chart says I need to be at 24. Just checked my levels and they are at 27. Still safe to swim? At what point is it unsafe to swim? Thanks.

Above shock level no, below shock level yes, at shock level maybe. Howzat? :)

I've been swimming in 25 FC all week with CYA at 70 because of the same issue as you, and I only glow at night. :mrgreen:

Kidding!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.