Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I know if the Stenner is pumping?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I know if the Stenner is pumping?

Is there some kind of "tell" that lets me know the pump is actually pumping??

I get a sort of "pulse" when I touch the output hose... would that be how I know or is there something else?
    16000 Gal. Kidney / Gunite / SE Florida / Taylor K2006 / Stenner
    Jandy CS100 / Sta-Rite U3 Skimmer / Pentair Great White / Single Floor Drain / Single Return / Hayward SP2300VSP
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still learning and I know nothing!.. I'm loving the Stenner!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I know if the Stenner is pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by FixItPete View Post
    Is there some kind of "tell" that lets me know the pump is actually pumping??

I get a sort of "pulse" when I touch the output hose... would that be how I know or is there something else?
    That pulsing is the tube being stretched by the rollers in the pump. It happens even if there is no chlorine being pumped (i.e. tank dry). The only ways I know to tell are:

(a) Buy and install their flow meter.
    (b) Grab water from the return jet in the pool and measure FC which should be elevated relative to the pool with the pump off.
    (c) Examine your tank level before and after a projected 1/2 to 1 gallon of chlorine has been pumped (definitely a measurable amount). For the 10 GPD pump, that would take a pump time of about 1.2 to 2.4 hours and for a 3 GPD pump it would take 4 to 8 hours of pump time.

Gary
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    16000 Gal. Kidney / Gunite / SE Florida / Taylor K2006 / Stenner
    Jandy CS100 / Sta-Rite U3 Skimmer / Pentair Great White / Single Floor Drain / Single Return / Hayward SP2300VSP
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still learning and I know nothing!.. I'm loving the Stenner!

4. Back To Top    #4

take the injector off , put it in a measuring cup , turn on Stenner manually and you should see chlorine!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

5. Back To Top    #5

You could put a T with a little valve to let some pump out in a cup to verify it is pumping. If you installed a stenner with a suction line vs mounted on the tank, you could put the T and valve on the suction line and let an air bubble get pulled in and pushed through to verify that it is pumping.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100