First Time Pool Owner/First Test Kit Results

sarahk

Jun 12, 2015
Minneapolis MN
I'm a first time pool owner, and I have the results of my first test kit. The chlorine is way high, and not quite sure what to do about that. The pool company that opened our pool super shocked it, and added a lot of product to bump up the alkalinity (there was almost none in the pool).
FC = 22.5
CC = 2
Calcium = 200pm
Alk = 21
CYA = 100

Suggestions on what I do next? Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, forgot to add that water is crystal clear.

Hello Sarah,

The FC will come down on it's own from sunlight. I Think it is too high to swim in, even with CYA at 100. Also I noticed CC is 2, which if correct means your chlorine is attacking something. (that will help bring down FC)

CYA will only drop from water replacement.

ALK can be brought down a couple of ways, But with FC that high we can not get an accurate PH reading.

By posting this, others will be along with a better course of action. In the meantime I suggest reading pool school and the ABCs' as that will help you gain an understanding of what each measurement means and how to address them.

Glad to have you aboard, post away :wave:

Do you know exactly what the pool service added and how much?

That CYA is too high at 100 but in actuality may be even higher but the test doesn't show anything above the 100. You can get around this testing limitation by mixing equal amounts of pool water and tap water, then using this mixed water to test the CYA (double the test result!)

If you're well and truly that high, you might have problems keeping enough chlorine in the water to work. Yet I'm sure with your short swim season you don't want to hear me suggest a drain and refill, huh? That CC of 2 shows problems, but is it accurate? What test kit are you using?

Don't worry about CH in a vinyl pool. No need.

So I did end up draining about 1/3 of the pool, and refilling. It's a pretty small pool, so it didn't take to long. I'm letting the filter run now, and hoping it will help somewhat? We were supposed to have a Father's Day pool party here tomorrow, and I'm guessing I shouldn't let anyone swim. We did have ducks that kept landing in our pool and I'm wondering if that is what the chlorine is attacking - I've been chasing them out, but until two days ago they were landing it it 2-3 times a day (I have a huge turtle blow up that is keeping them out).

- - - Updated - - -

The pool company added whatever the equivalent of baking soda is, but put in an entire bag, which was apparently way too much for our small pool. My test kit is the TF-100.

After the pump runs about 30 minutes give us some new test results and let's see what we can figure out. With high CYA you chlorine won't be a problem. But, I'm concerned that we can't test PH when FC is above 10. But, let's see what the numbers are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.