Math Trouble

April

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2014
KY
This may be a stupid question but........Im trying to figure out how many gallons are in my friends pool that I'm helping her slam. I thought I could figure it out by how many gallons of chlorine I had added to get her to her slam level but math is not my strong point. So any help is appreciated. :D

She thinks the size is a 20x40 IG Grecian. Shallow end is 4' deep end is 8'. But she is not positive.

So I added:
4 gallons of chlorine 10%
Raised her FC to 13.

Is it possible to figure out the gallons this way?

Not very exactly. Since you do not know the exact strength of the bleach.

Assuming it is really 10% and you started at 0ppm ... PoolMath estimates it would be 31k gallons.
Although using the volume calculator, it could be a little more than that if the dimensions are correct.

Hi April,

For calculating how many galollons in a pool (or any other rectanular or square container)
the formula is L*W*D = cubic feet of volume

There is 7.47 gallons in 1 Cubit Foot of water - so,
Gallons = Cubic Feet * 7.47

Or - why not just use pool math to help you?
Towards the bottom of pool math is a volume calculator.
Just measure the length and width of the pool. For the depth, do an average. Deep End + Shallow end divided by 2.

Or, you can play around with pool math by changing the volume and using the 4 gallons raising the FC to 13 and nail it that way.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

If you want to calculate the pool volume chemically, then here is the best way to do it. (this should impress your friend!)
A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume

hope this helps,

Yup,
it does account for the slope. to some extent. Not all pools will be exactly equal slopes though, but pool math should easily get you within a few hundred gallons.
Its easy enough to tweak it from there.

Thank you Jason and Dave. :D

I didn't know if pool math would be correct because the sides of the pool slope in. Like this \_/.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.