Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar blankets and chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar blankets and chlorine

Hi all

Am I correct in assuming that if I leave my cover on, the sun will degrade less chlorine as compared to the pool water being exposed to direct sunlight?

Cheers, and happy Saturday to everyone.

Tom

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar blankets and chlorine

Yes, but it determines what color the cover is. Opaque covers will protect the chlorine best while clear covers will not help nearly as much.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting. So our cover is white/opaque, but I have noticed that my chlorine is a little on the high side - dialed down the salt generator to 40% as a means to compensate....

20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

There are other factors. You need sunlight directly on the pool to get rid of excess CC's A pool cover prevents that. Pools like to "breathe". The chlorine in your pool "eats" a solar cover faster than if it is folded up and stored.

Use your Solar cover to save heat but I would not use it for the purpose of saving chlorine.....the side effects are not worth it
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Agreed. I have been using it for the heating/heat loss prevention side of things but have since realized that this is having other "negative" side effects as you describe above. Good information al! Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Usually if your pool is exposed to direct sunlight, then an opaque pool cover cuts down chlorine loss. However, as was noted, a cover gets slowly oxidized by chlorine so increases chlorine loss from that. Usually the net is a lower loss of chlorine. If you aren't seeing that then maybe your sun exposure was not full or your cover reacts with chlorine more than most.

I have a mostly opaque electric safety cover and it most definitely cuts down the loss from sunlight where overall my chlorine loss if the pool is not used is only 0.7 ppm FC per day though the pool is typically used every day so actual loss is closer to 1 ppm FC per day. If I have the cover open all day, the loss is closer to 2 ppm FC per day. If I had no sun exposure at all, then having no cover would have minimal chlorine loss (probably less than 0.3 ppm FC per day).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    There are other factors. You need sunlight directly on the pool to get rid of excess CC's A pool cover prevents that. Pools like to "breathe". The chlorine in your pool "eats" a solar cover faster than if it is folded up and stored.

Use your Solar cover to save heat but I would not use it for the purpose of saving chlorine.....the side effects are not worth it
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've noticed every time I test my water when the cover has been on for a few days, my CC's are elevated. I thought that maybe my cover had algae on it and that was the reason for the elevated numbers. Not to high jack the thread, but are these elevated CC's a concern and do they require any action on my part? In the past I was increasing FC to SLAM level until everything came back down to normal. I actually stopped using the cover because I was afraid I'd come out to a green pool one day.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

8. Back To Top    #8

If you don't notice a "bad pool smell" then those CCs are not a serious concern and you can just uncover the pool once in a while (probably at least once a week) and they should stay under control from the UV in sunlight. The CCs are probably not from algae but from by-products from the oxidation of the cover itself or if the cover is dirty than substances that were stuck on the cover.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Good to know. I have begun to really regret even getting that cover. It does a great job warming my pool, but I'm always freaking out, especially after it rains, and there is a bit of water sitting on the cover or debris begins collecting on the cover. Always makes me worried that when I pull the cover off, I'm going to be dumping algae/debris filled water into my pool, which is where I thought the CC's might have been coming from.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

10. Back To Top    #10

Well if you had algae or other debris on your cover and it got dumped into the pool then yes, that could create both additional chlorine demand and possibly increase CC. That is a downside to using a cover and one should try and roll it up in a way so as not to dump what is on top of it into the pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry...bit new (and no Taylor kit yet)...but - what are CCs?

12. Back To Top    #12

CC = Combined Chlorine. Basically chlorine combined with ammonia or with an organic compound. Some people worry a lot when they see CC measured in their chlorine test, but it's not always an issue and is usually easily resolved by exposing the pool to sunlight and letting it air out a bit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Chem geek - you're awesome. Assume cc = fixed chlorine + free chlorine, the latter being the cl that kills algae?

14. Back To Top    #14

Sorry- former kills algae...that being the free chlorine

15. Back To Top    #15

Not quite. It's Total Chlorine = Free Chlorine + Combined Chlorine where the Free Chlorine has a portion of it that kills pathogens and algae, while the Combined Chlorine is not a fast-acting disinfectant. Free Chlorine by itself is misleading because the active chlorine that kills pathogens and algae is only a portion of it dependent on the Cyanuric Acid level, related to the FC/CYA ratio.