Code 92 (High Salt) Message...

Jun 20, 2015
Bridgeport, CT
Hello. I have and Intex 8110 Sand Filter/SWG combo which I have used for the past three summers and near the end of last summer, I started receiving a Code 92, so I tested the salt level in the pool and it was between 3,000 and 3500 PPM. I reversed the polarity by turning the big black plug and it began to work fine for about a week, then the code 92 was coming up again. I tried removing the cell and soaking it in pure white distilled vinegar and thoroughly rinsing it and it didn't do anything. I phoned Intex and they talked me into purchasing a new cell. Prior to preparing to open the pool this season, I replaced the cell and proceeded to refill the pool with water. I turned on the filter to let it run for about an hour to test the water prior to adding more salt and the error code 92 is continuing to come up, even without putting in anymore salt after adding the fresh water. :geek:

Does anyone have any ideas about what I may be able to do to fix this? If not, can I just purchase a new SWG and attach it to the filter that I have, even though there is a SWG already built into the unit and have it work effectively?

I absolutely love the ease of caring for the pool with the SWG and will never return to using chemicals for chlorination.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about the code 92 error. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Sorry I don't have a proven fix for you. Because of the hard water I used to fill my pool, I may have other issues than you. The SWG should be using up the salt over time, not accumulating it so I plan to ask a friend to truck in some different water and try to be in the too low salt position. Intex sent me a replacement unit last year after numerous trouble shooting calls but the new one just started giving me the code again. I will follow this thread for updates. Good Luck.

Intex SWGs usually last about 3 years, so you probably got all you can out of it. Yes, you can buy a standalone SWG and plumb it in after the filter you will be good to go. Yes, SWG does make pool maintenance easier!

My Intex SWG is stand alone-- my pump is separate and from a different maker.

I went ahead and emptied about 1/3 of my pool to let me add that 1/3 back as plain water (probably 900 US Gallons). The boost cycle worked last night and so did the first plain timed cycle. Fingers crossed! I didn't add any more salt yet; I am waiting for a low salt code and then I plan to put in just a little bit at a time.

I am not sure why too much salt is an issue for the system. I know it might corrode and wear other components, but why does the SWG from Intex need to be finicky about too much salt? I just don't know!
Sadly, this has put me back a bit as far as the other balances of the pool-- PH and Alkalinity and Cyanuric acid for sure.

I was having the same issue. I discovered when I cleaned the electrolytic cell last, one of the 3 metal plates had shifted and was shorting out against another plate. Once I separated them and they were no longer shorting out the system worked fine. I would also imagine that when the copper electrode breaks down it's possible that a piece of copper could get stuck between plates and cause a short as well. If you have a multimeter you can test if the plates are shorted. They should not be making any contact with each other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.