Sand filter at 0%

Jun 14, 2015
Lumberton
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum and I know someone will have an answer for me. I'm new at this Salt water Pool and have found lots of helpful suggestions. So here goes: I have a Triton II sand filter and for the last few weeks we have been experiencing lots of rain here in Texas and the filter was reading 10% last weekend so we did a backwash and cleaned the in-line filter (not the sand filter) and the reading went up to 13%. Today it is at 0%. NOW WHAT??? any and all suggestions will be taken. Thanks in advance for your help.

No, don't change anything. What gauge are you talking about? There is one on top (maybe side) of your sand filter and it reads in psi. Where is the one that is reading 13 PERCENT. Got a pic?

Yes, and it was always between 20 to 30% which is where the "Pool guy" that gave us a lesson said it should be.....so when it dropped to this level we got concerned, did a backwash last weekend. Water is great just put more salt in this morning because of all the rain and the reading was low. But other than that our tests have been perfect. Is this something I need to be concerned with because we've bought this house with pool about a year and half ago. At that time the sand had been changed 4 months prior. Don't want to burn the sand filter up if it's not running right....yes we have a little sand coming into the pool but not much. Water is crystal clear..

let me see if I understand..

you started at 20 to 30 psi
it dropped to 12 to 13 psi
now is at 0 psi
same flow from your returns, if this is correct then

sound like your pressure gauge has died.. here is a great 1 TFTestkits.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here ya! Taking sand out of a sand filter!

-get ready to get wet and make sure you have a couple of hours and a beer or two!

-Have something to put the sand in. I use my wheelbarrow.

-Have something to take the sand out with. Some people use a shop vac (wish I had known about that before I took mine out a cup at a time :( )

-Turn off pump.

-take filter apart. I am hoping you have unions. If you do not stop and let me know. You can look online to see how your filter and model works. There are so many different ways so I will let you take that part on.

-Take the sand out using care.

-Once all of the sand is out you will need to take the guts out. There should be a pipe with some things on the bottom of it. The things are called laterals. Some of them fold up. Some unscrew. Use care with them.

-Now would be a good time to let water run through/over/around your sand to clean it real good.

-look real close at your pipe and laterals. We had one person that had a tiny chip off the top of the pipe that was allowing sand to come back into the pool. Look at the laterals. Any cracks, broken ribs, etc?

What you find will tell you what to do-replace or put it back together.

When you go to put the sand back in the filter use care to NOT let any sand inside the pipe. I taped a cup over the hole. Fill the filter up about 1/3 with water to help cushion the fall of the sand. I put mine back in a cup at a time to be of the safe side.

I hope this helps. I bet you could also find a you-tube video.

Kim

Ok. This thread is wandering all over the place.......let's get your gauge questions solved so you understand it.

1. You only have one gauge correct?

2. It goes to zero when you turn it off, correct? That means it's (the gauge) working.

3. You now know that gauge measures the pressure inside your filter and piping, right?

4. You have NO other gauge in your system, right?

5. You say that your gauge is at ZERO but it looks to be at 7-8 ppm....can you help us understand that?

6. Your normal operating pressure should be somewhere in a range of 5 to maybe 20 pounds....not 20-30 like you said the "poolman" said.

6. When you backwash, you clean dirt from the sand, allowing the pump to push more water through the filter at lower psi. So, a drop in psi AFTER a backwash is perfectly normal.

7. At this point I see no reason to open the filter and look for a problem. If you think there is sand in your pool, see if you can pick it up and look at it to confirm it is sand. It usually is dirt (slippery) or dead algae (you won't be able to pick it up.)

Ok. This thread is wandering all over the place.......let's get your gauge questions solved so you understand it.

1. You only have one gauge correct? Only have one..

2. It goes to zero when you turn it off, correct? That means it's (the gauge) working. Yes

3. You now know that gauge measures the pressure inside your filter and piping, right? Yes

4. You have NO other gauge in your system, right?This is the only gauge

5. You say that your gauge is at ZERO but it looks to be at 7-8 ppm....can you help us understand that?My husband is the one that said it was at 0% but when I went to take the picture it was at 7-8% sorry for the incorrect info on that....

6. Your normal operating pressure should be somewhere in a range of 5 to maybe 20 pounds....not 20-30 like you said the "poolman" said.!Great information I'm learning as we go....thanks

6. When you backwash, you clean dirt from the sand, allowing the pump to push more water through the filter at lower psi. So, a drop in psi AFTER a backwash is perfectly normal Also great to know! Thanks again....

7. At this point I see no reason to open the filter and look for a problem. If you think there is sand in your pool, see if you can pick it up and look at it to confirm it is sand. It usually is dirt (slippery) or dead algae (you won't be able to pick it up.)

Whew! Best news I've heard today. The sand and it is sand....is very minimal at this time...in fact have had none in over a week since the backwash!

Thank you for this valuable information and all the others who have answered....

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for these posts. Yes the gauge say 7-8% and goes to 0% when we turn in off! So the gauge is working. We are going to leave it alone at this time and yal are the best....thanks for all the answers and great advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.