Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is lake proximity added trouble?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ten Mile, TN

Is lake proximity added trouble?

[Trigger warning- this post contains the words "pool store" - LOL ]

My neighbor's salesman at the pool store told him he is at higher risk of algae in his pool because of our nearby lake (birds and wind increasing droppings into the water of algae)

I'm not so sure....I haven't seen a problem yet. I'm guessing this is a myth.
    24' Round 14000 gal AG - installed June 2, 2015
    Saltwater Hayward AquaRite w/TCell - 9
    Waterway 26" sand filter w/ 2HP 2 speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is lake proximity added trouble?

In theory sure, I'll buy it. However, it's irrelevant if your maintaining the FC as you should. Forget it and enjoy the pool if you are.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Columbia SC

My pool is maybe 100-200 feet from my two acre pond and I'm sure that is a contributing factor for the number of critters in the pool. But as said above, maintaining proper FC is the key.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I think the risk is greater because swimsuits and pool toys go back and forth between lake and pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Algae will form in the Sahara Desert if the conditions are correct.

Your fiends salesman who works at the **** ***** has not thought that through very well.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

San Rafael, CA USA

The bigger risk is for yellow/mustard algae since that may be found in some lakes, especially if one swims in one and then the other carrying the algae with them in their swim suits. For green algae, it is ubiquitous and blowing in the wind almost everywhere.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"