Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd filter issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Odd filter issue

Hello there!

I have a bit of an odd filter problem. Last year I had an issue with it discharging water out the back wash when in filter mode. I rebuilt the valve assembly and it worked fine. Now I go and back wash it the proper way (shut pump off, run back wash for 45 seconds, shut off, rinse, shut off, turn back to filter and turn on). Now it will discharge out the back wash after I have back washed it even though it is in filter mode. The only way to stop it to disassemble the eight way assembly, than put it back on and tighten it down. I am thinking of putting a plug in the back wash port and calling it a day. Any other recommendations?
    My pool: 13,500 gallons round pool, 24' w 52" above ground, hard sided pool. Jacuzzi 190L Sand Filter, 1 Horse Waterway pump, Robotic Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Odd filter issue

Sounds like the spring is not seating the gasket when you switch back to filter mode. You could try lifting up on the handle and see if that helps.
    Or like you said, add a plug or shutoff valve on the backwash pipe.

Please add a more useful location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it may help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am probably going to go with a plug for now until I decide on a valving option for it. I back-washed a few hours ago and it did not do it that time, but I will keep it in mind regarding the handle.

I will update my location.
    My pool: 13,500 gallons round pool, 24' w 52" above ground, hard sided pool. Jacuzzi 190L Sand Filter, 1 Horse Waterway pump, Robotic Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Problem is, if the gasket is allowing water to backwash, it could also be allowing water and debris to bypass the filter and go back to the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I understand. It is not doing right now, but I will see about placing a sock in-front of the discharge and see if anything is discharging into the pool (based on visual inspection, that does not appear to be this case).