Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ants in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ants in the pool

Hi everyone,

First I want to say how thankful I am for this site. I am a brand new pool owner, as this is our first summer with a pool, and I have already learned so much and solved a few of my own problems just by searching this site. But now, I have a problem that I can't seem to find much guidance on.

We have dead fire ants floating in our pool. At first, we could see them crawling on the concrete pool deck, so we treated the outside perimeter of the screen enclosure with Amdro and some kind of stakes you put in the ground like bait stations. Now, we no longer see the ants crawling on the deck, but they are everywhere in the pool itself now and I can't tell where they're even coming from. I have to clean my cartridge filter at least 2x each week because the flow to the SWG becomes insufficient due to the accumulation of ant bodies in the filter. I've had to dump bleach in twice because my FC was zero. ZERO.

I can skim the surface of my pool forever - I usually stop after 20 minutes because I get so frustrated - because it seems like the ones I scoop out are replaced by more constantly. It's never clean. And if I put on a mask and look underwater - there are ant bodies at various stages of sinking throughout the pool. Gross. Luckily, Jaws sucks up the ones on the bottom, but if I don't keep him running every day the floor will be covered with ant bodies.

I am so frustrated I don't know what else to do. It seems we have controlled them coming in thru the bottom of the screen enclosure, but where are they coming into the pool from? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide this newbie. You all rock!

-Amy
    12x24 10k gallon IG concrete pool built Sept 2014, Pentair Intellipro variable speed pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Kreepy Krauly Great White

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ants in the pool

Hi Amy,
    Welcome to TFP!

Im afraid I dont have much of an answer for you but I think this will just take time. Keep the Amdro all around all the time, and I think eventually the ants will go somewhere else.

I had a similar problem last year and it just took a while, but they did finally go somehwere else.

Somehow, they found a way into your water, though I dont have any idea of how. But I think they got in there in attempt to escape the Amdro and other stuff you have done.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not fire ants, but carpenter ants constantly blow in my pool from two large oak trees located nearby.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have read that adding borates helps with water bugs. Maybe it will help with land bugs too. Here is how, Borates - Why and How

Also, spraying home defense bug repellent on all hard surfaces around the perimeter of the pool should help too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

have you tried skimmer socks to keep them out of your filter? you would still need to watch the skimmer socks so they dont block all water going to your filter..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for your replies. I noticed upon closer inspection today that there are several dead ants on one end of the pool deck. They're so tiny I think they're getting blown into the water after they die. Guess the Amdro is working somewhat.

The skimmer sock - I read another thread about that today. I want to try this, so I'll buy some nylons tonight when I go shopping. Now, how exactly do you put this on the basket? Thanks again!
    12x24 10k gallon IG concrete pool built Sept 2014, Pentair Intellipro variable speed pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Kreepy Krauly Great White

7. Back To Top    #7

put the foot end of the nylon in the bottom of the basket. Fold the big end over the outside edge and wrap a bit rubber band around it if you need to.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8