Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH not rising

1. Back To Top    #1

pH not rising

Kids have been in my pool a couple times and complain of sore/dry eyes after they get out. Since all the other tests seem OK (results below), I presume its time to deal with pH. We opened the pool 2 weeks ago so Ive been waiting for the water to clear up. It is now basically crystal clear and Im letting the FC fall by itself. Turned off the SWG, etc. During the SLAM process I was using liquid shock.

Current test results:

FC - 10
    pH - 7.3
    CC - 0.5
    TA - 50 (waiting to get pH in line before upping this)
    CYA - 40

Last night I added about half of the amount that pool calc recommended to get my pH to 7.5. Waited an hour (pump on), re-tested and still no pH change. Let the pump run overnight, re-tested this morning, still no change in pH. Our pH reagent is 1 year old and has never seen heat or sun.

Is the FC level causing an issue with the test? I always thought it would cause it to read higher instead of lower, but maybe not.

Or is the reagent suspect? Luckily thats an easy one to find if I want another bottle.

TIA

-Chris
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH not rising

FC at 10 or above causes PH to read artificially high.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe they are, but you should not test pH with Phenol red at 10 or above FC. Usually, it is false high.

I'm more concerned about the CC, and the unclear water. You were on a SLAM I take it, and the water isn't yet clear? If so, you didn't finish SLAM, and the kids shouldn't be in there. You may have enough CC to cause irritation, especially if it's closer to 1PPM. How old are the reagents? If you are in doubt because they are aged, you should replace them all. It's not worth getting bad results for the little money they cost. Especially again, if your kids are at any risk.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Maybe they are, but you should not test pH with Phenol red at 10 or above FC. Usually, it is false high.

I'm more concerned about the CC, and the unclear water. You were on a SLAM I take it, and the water isn't yet clear? If so, you didn't finish SLAM, and the kids shouldn't be in there. You may have enough CC to cause irritation, especially if it's closer to 1PPM. How old are the reagents? If you are in doubt because they are aged, you should replace them all. It's not worth getting bad results for the little money they cost. Especially again, if your kids are at any risk.
    I guess I shouldnt have said "basically crystal clear".

I should take a pic....the water looks fine. Can see the veins on the leaves sitting on the deep end floor. I tested the pool before the kids went in yesterday and aside from the low pH, all tests were clear (including 0.0 CC)

Last night I ran the FC test and CC was 0.0. Not sure what happened overnight but after the test this morning I call it 0.5 (there was a very very slight pink hue to the FC test when I was done, if you could use HALF a drop of reagent to make it go away, it probably would have)

I will replace my pH reagent ASAP. All other reagents in the tests are fresh.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok then, that's good. Sorry, I though you might have cloudy water and not be done on the SLAM. We see folks trying to shortcut sometimes, and understandable. Kids and big ones (like me) get impatient and want in. I'll also add, sometimes the irritation we find out is from kids being in the water all day, or just too long. That can happen in the nicest of lake water if you stay in long enough. Good to hear then...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Ooh yeah, they were definitely on my case to get in early but they are old enough to know the rules (if you cant see the bottom, dont even ask about going in). I know the FC is high but without any CC I figured they were good to go. Kinda wondering if the CC I "found" overnight is actually from them.

7. Back To Top    #7

Your true pH may be much lower than you think. Read the captions and look at the pictures Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Your true pH may be much lower than you think. Read the captions and look at the pictures Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?
    Saw that thread myself.

What is the best course of action? Wait until fc comes down to believe the ph test?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post
    Saw that thread myself.

What is the best course of action? Wait until fc comes down to believe the ph test?
    Yes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I dont think theres anything wrong with your red phenol. Its lasts a good long time. Let the FC drop down and go from there.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

normal pH of eyes is 7.0 to 7.3 as per this link . So if your water truly is 7.3 that should not cause any eye irritation. As those above have mentioned, do a reading with chlorine under 10ppm with reliable reagents to get a true reading.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

PH 7.2 to 7.8 is fine. Don't raise your TA unless your PH is is not stable. Let FC drop to 8 or 9 and test PH. Adjust as needed and monitor for a week or two to see how PH acts. If it stays stable then leave TA as is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

OK, FC is down to 8.5

pH still shows 7.3. I know its in the acceptable range, but with all other levels being good, I have to think this has at least a little to do with burning eyes.

Poolcalc says I need to add 1.5 cups of Borax to bring pH up to 7.5. I might add half of that and retest later.

On the flipside, it didnt budge after the 1.5" of rain we got this morning, so Im guessing the TA level is acceptable.

14. Back To Top    #14

I believe that the PH in eyes is 7.2 to 7.4. Your PH is not making eyes burn. It is fine if you want to use borax to raise it to 7.4 or 7.5.

Burning eyes is usually caused by CC. If you don't have CC then adding 2000 ppm of salt is the next thing to do to help reduce eye irritation.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach