Swimming and Slamming

CLW42

May 8, 2014
Merrimac, MA
I just did my OFCLT and it looks like I need to slam. My water is crystal clear, but I noticed a couple of Algae spots and also that my FC numbers seemed to be a little lower than they should. At first I thought my CYA was off and I was losing the FC to sunlight. The CYA was off, so I corrected that, but still no real change in the FC. In any case here I am.

My FC test last night was 5.5, and this morning it was 4. CC=0; Ph=7.5; and CYA=70.

I have two questions, do I leave my SWG turned on while slamming, and can the kids swim during the slam (this likely won't be too much of a problem since we're due to get rain tonight through Monday)?

It is much easier to control the SLAM (it really is a fairly precise process) with the SWG turned off.

The official answer from TFP is that you can let the kids swim in anything UP TO SLAM value. You can sneak around that a bit by allowing them to jump in after the FC drops one point below SLAM.

The COMMON SENSE answer is that it is a little easier to control the process if there is no swimming but nobody's arms and legs will fall off if you let them in.

Other readers please keep in mind that the swimming advice is not generic. I based my suggestions on CLW42's particular numbers. You may get somewhat different advice from another TFPr because your numbers are different. Hope that makes sense.

We have been in the same situation for a week or so. The heat and lots of swimming snuck up on us. FC dropped to 1.5 last Saturday and we had a dozen or so algae spots. Water crystal clear. CYA is 70, I jumped FC up to about 25 and brush 2-3 times per day and cleaned out the light niche. We have been swimming for hours pretty much everyday all week. Algae spots have been gone and not coming back since Monday. I'll do a full test today and swap the filters and probably call it done. My SWG is oversized enough that it can generate enough chlorine to keep it in the mid-20s which saves me hauling bleach, except the first day when I added 4 or 5 gallons to get it going.

Gonna be another great swim weekend in Dallas! We haven't had enough this year, which is why we have to swim-n-slam! LOL

Thanks Guys!

But I do have a situation. I thought I had unplugged the SWG, and did not, so it was producing FC all day. I started my slam about three hours ago and just did my first test. My FC is now 41, which is WAY above the suggested 28. Obviously there's no swimming, but is there anything else I need or should do? I should have checked it again before starting the slam, but like I said, I thought the SWG was off so if anything I was expecting to be low, not high.

You will be OK. That FC will come down on it's own rather quickly......continue the SLAM as if the pool was dosed correctly and simply replenish back up to 28 ppm when you drop below that.

WOW, that dropped fast. I was down to 29 this morning after a few good downpours which added about 2" of water. I'm sure that helped.

Got another question: I'm pretty sure I see some algae in the light fixture. I didn't go in to check today, but I will tomorrow. If that's the case, will I be able to simply remove the two or three screws around the faceplate and get in there to clean it out? It's a Hayward LED light.

Thanks again for all of the help! Maintaining 28 FCL now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep. I would turn the breaker off for sure for safety. Not that I've ever taken mine out with just the light switch off... No need to drain at all. Hopefully it was installed properly and there is enough cable behind the light so that you can set it on the pool deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.