Platinum catalyst for CYA removal

Tepelus

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2014
Oslo
Since chlorine can slowly oxidise the cyanic acid would a platinum catalytic convertor speedup this reaction to be of any practical use for people with high CYA in their swimming pools? Just wondering.

I'm not going to pretend I know, but I am curious, do you mean as Chlorine being the only other driver or something else? Platinum mesh is used in a variety of chemical processing reactions, usually involving heat as one of the drivers.

I was thinking of a car catalisator since it does contain platinum mesh. This is easily avialeble and cheap to buy. It is true that in a car this catalisator needs to be very hot in order to work. I still think that is not difficult to try a contraption of a submersible pump connected to the catalisator by means of a hose. If CYA can be slowly oxidized by Chlorine in a swimming pool, may be, just may be that this platinum mesh may speed up the process. In fact one needs only a pump with small water flow. A small flow will will ensure a longer contact time between the platinum mesh and the pool water. In a car this cat converter has to work in a fraction of a second since gasses has to be burned in very short time since the next fraction of a second they are discarded. May be platinum is not the right catalisator for this purpose. I do not know. But may be somebody here might.

Platinum is a catalyst for some reactions, but it is not a universal catalyst. I do not know if it would catalyze the chlorine oxidation of CYA but even if it did that would result in a rather high chlorine demand. As noted in Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA), it takes roughly 2.5 ppm FC to oxidize 1 ppm CYA. So let's say you wanted to maintain a steady-state and use Trichlor pucks. In effect you would need 2.5 of the 3 chlorine from the Trichlor to get rid of the CYA so the Trichlor would effectively have only 15% Available Chlorine. So it's no more efficient than using chlorinating liquid.

What is needed is a way to get the nitrogen in CYA to nitrogen gas so that one does not create ammonia that then needs to be oxidized by chlorine. This is what some combinations of bacteria do and was the hope of the Bio-Active product that most of the time unfortunately does not work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.