intellichlor 20 not producing cl

Sidecarist

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Dayton, TN
I have finally completed my first SLAM and pool looks great except for some tannin stains that lightened a bit during the slam. Now the issue is that I stopped bleach and turned on my ic20 swg at 100% at 8pm last night fc was 5 cc was 0.5. 7am today fc was 2.5 cc was .5, I put it in boost mode all day and 8pm fc is 1, cc hard to tell solution might have had the slightest pink to it for the cc test.

All other levels are within range. Cya is a little low at 55-60 depending on what recommendation I look at

Salt is a bit high at 4600

All lights on swg are green. This am just to be sure I cleaned the cekk with acid even though tell plates look clean and bright. Almost no bubbling from the acid so I assume the cell is clean check is 260 and take is 110 for what is worth, pH is 7.4

Any toughts? I have no idea how old the unit is as it came with the house.

Hanks

Bob

- - - Updated - - -

FYI the pump has been on 24/7 too

The pool has been open for 2 weeks. my oclt was 0.5 so I don't think I have a something consuming the fc the tests may not be lying to me but... this is my first pool and I'm still feeling my way.

I have to travel for a couple of weeks so I shocked the pool to 24 and am leaving the swg at 100% if I come back to clear water I'll know for sure I guess. I wish I cold have someone check on it while I'm away but it's not possible.

I also put in a tricolor floater as I do want to bring the cya up a bit more.

fingers crossed.....

Thanks

Alright, good plan bringing it to shock level and adding a puck. You can probably put a couple more pucks in there if you want and they fit. That ought to keep it in good shape while you're away.

OK I'm back from my whirl wind trip. It's been nearly 5 weeks since I SLAM'd the pool then left it with 2 floaters with 3 tricolor pucks in each. The pool looks very goodpucks are gone and FC is 0... walls have a slight biofilm. I added what bleach I had and got the FC up to 15. Cya is 70ish. Went to bed. This am FC was down to 8 CC was 1. Hit up wally world and got the FC up to slam level 30 before 9am. Biofilm brushed off by noon water is crystal clear. FC came down to 21 CC is 0.5 as of 6pm. In the end I think I got lucky...

Now the question is why was FC 0? I left my SWG on 100% and pump was running 6 hours a day. I admit I have no idea where to start the SWG and pump run time. The SWG is working according to the lights, but I have no clue water would be a good starting point. I'm here for a couple of weeks and want to get this figured out. Salt level is 3900 per Taylor kit.

For now I'm going to leave the SWG @ 100% and the pump on 24hrs. I hope to find that it can maintain the FC level at 5-6. Is this a valid approach? Is there a way to test the output of the SWG? It looks to be in perfect condition.

Thanks!

Yes, sounds like you got back just in the nick of time. Your pool was about to turn green any minute.

The SWG is more than likely working fine. It will have lots of different red error lights if there are any issues. 6 hours just wasnt enough run time to make enough chlorine.

You need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to kill the algae and then dial in your SWG to maintain FC at or above target for your CYA. Mine is 70 and I keep FC at 8-9 because we swim a lot.

You can swim as long as FC is below shock level. When we were SLAMing we kept FC a couple ppm below shock and swam every day for a week and a half. Can't miss swimming on all these hot sunny days. And it is much easier and cooler to brush in the pool.

OK after 4 days running the pump 24hrs a day with the SWG at 100% the FC is 5.5, CC is 0 CYA is 75-80

The SWG works but seems un able to keep up with demand even with zero swimmer load.

Do these SWG loose efficiency over time? I have no idea how old it is.

I'm going to try running the pump 12 hr a day and see what I get. I hope to keep the FC near 4.

Maybe I need to step up in SWG size?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way the water is beautiful crystal clear and all other tests have results in the middle of the TFP recommended ranges.

Thanks!

Yes, they do lose efficiency over time. If it is 4 or 5 years old it could be heading downhill, but I've seen them last 7. I think it is sized OK for your pool. Yours is double to pool size and mine is double to pool size. Mine is running 10 hrs at 60% and keeping 8ppm with 70 cya and with lots of swimming every day. Yours should be able to keep up too.

Have you inspected it for calcium build up? Or cleaned it recently with diluted muriatic acid?

You can always supplement with a little bleach to help keep the FC up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting. I will assume that my unit is on that downhill slide.

The unit looked clean when I installed it after purchasing the house (we took possession during the winter so no way to test). The first thing I tried was to cean it per the instructions. I saw maybe a few bubbles but the plates were clean silver with no pitting or calcium buildup before and after cleaning.

I may be on the look out for a deal on a new unit....

The only other thing I can think of is that I have some Iron staining on the walls of the pool. They were made worse by SLAMing the pool. Currently I'm using HASA Super Stain out and it is reducing the stains significantly in just a few days. I plan on treating them with Ascorbic acid when I open the pool next spring and do some research on how to remove the iron completely if possible (use CuLATOR??)

Can iron in the water cause the SWG to be less efficient? I'll start a new thread on this subject.

Thanks for your help!

Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.