Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Alkalinity and high PH

1. Back To Top    #1

High Alkalinity and high PH

I've been checking my chlorine and PH daily and have checked the alkalinity about once a week. So,I get how to keep my chlorine balanced. But, my issue is that my alkalinity has run around 130-140 each time I have tested and my PH wants to stay around 7.9-8.0 . I add muriatic acid and test 24 hours later and it will be down to 7.5 - 7.6. But, the next day it is 7.8 again and then it is 8.0 the day after that. I have pretty much left it alone for days then I add some muriatic acid and lower it but, it just keeps creeping back up. My alkalinity stays between 130-140 through all of this.

Should I be doing something different? Are these numbers acceptable?

Thanks so much!
    Intex Ultra Frame 14' x 42" (3,357 gallons)
    1,000 GPH cartridge filter pump
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: High Alkalinity and high PH

It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. When it gets to 7.8 add acid to bring it to 7.2. Doing this repeatedly will slowly lower your TA which should eventually stabilize your PH. You can lower TA more aggressively by following this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach