Critique my pool quote please!

Jun 3, 2015
Dallas. TX
Doesn't this seem high?! The pool seems only slightly high at $41,324...we have a bare bones pool with no added features. 15x24 gunite, SWCG, stairs and tanning ledge. No fountains, no spa, etc. Does that seem high to you?

Specific question - we are getting a cartridge filter, why would we need a "1.5" backwash water line connected to your faucet"?

The most outrageous pricing is the cabana with outdoor kitchen!! :pale: $37,000!!!! It is 32x10 with a retaining wall, fireplace and kitchen/fridge.

We are just outside of San Antonio. We are in the $44k range for he pool in my sig line and NO SWG/NO spa or water features. This does not include any landscaping to redo the sprinkler system and portion of the yard that was demolished. We received quotes from 2 of our 3 local pool builders and they were pretty comparable. I do know that outdoor kitchen areas are very expensive, but there is a lot of variation in price from builder to builder. Definitely shop around and get another quote. Not to mention, this is their busy season and I would think that this definitely affects price some.

Seems high. Speaking for Florida,
30x15 pool, with standard equipment: $18,000
It's the upgrades though that cost. For me...
Upgraded coping to brick:$1600
Paver deck: $5.25/square foot
Best bet is to get multiple quotes.

That PB is making some nice money off that one. You could owner build that thing with a premium finish like pebble for less than half that quote. I bet you could do the kitchen for half that as well, even with a top of the line bbq set up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can anyone speak to the specs in the quote? Does everything seem right? Is there anything that should be removed, added, modified?

Don't know your area, so prices could vary, but 2k to re-route the sprinklers seems beyond excessive to me. I'd think half that would be fair, in fact you could do it on the side, I'd probably just hire some help from home depot or get a gardner from your neighborhood, shoudn't cost but a few hundred to run the sprinklers from the caps.

I don't understand what they mean by top soil to cover existing dirt around graded areas. If more dirt is needed, they should use it from the excavation I would think. Any mulch or top soil that is needed for sod should be included in sod price. Any sand that's needed for your deck should be included in the deck price.

200 add on price for pebble tec is a bargain.

17,500 for the patio cover and 2 fans seems a bit excessive to me, in fact, it seems really high.

I'd get more bids for sure.

I've read a number of these "check my quote" threads from TX folks wanting to build and the general sense I've gotten is that $40k (give or take $5k) is the going rate in that area about this time of year for a basic pool setup. Also, your're having the PB do pool work AND landscape work. Landscape work (outdoor kitchen, walls, hardscape, etc) has notoriously high premiums built into them. My neighbor once got a quote from a landscaper for running irrigation from his front connection to his backyard (with nothing else, just trenching, pipes, valves and controllers) and the landscaper wanted to charge him thousands of dollars ([EDIT] Just texted my neighbor - guy wanted $4500, wow! [END_EDIT]). He did the trench work and pipe laying himself, got a plumber to do the irrigation loop on his main and used all the money he saved to pay another landscaper to do the wall and hardscape work. You might want to consider splitting the work, have the PB just do the pool build, equipment and decking and then get quotes from reputable landscapers for the pergola/ramada, outdoor kitchen and hardscape. It might take longer but it could be cheaper in the end.

Here's what I've learned after building 2 pools in the last 4 years: Use a pool builder for pool things and a outdoor patio/kitchen/landscaping company for the other things. In general, the pool builder will outsource the non-pool stuff to a different set of contractors anyway. If you do this yourself, you'll avoid the PB's markup. In my most recent build, I learned (quite by accident) that my PB's markup was about 30% for my extra construction stuff. Your mileage may vary, but I'd at least get some quotes for your cabana and other outdoor stuff from a few companies that do this as their primary emphasis.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing....you're already getting a manual fill line. It's not much more expensive to have an auto-fill line installed. The valve itself is very similar to a toilet valve; the expensive part is running the water line. I would expect you could get this upgrade for much less than you might think.

I really like my auto-fill, as I don't have to worry about water levels when the rains finally disappear for the summer. And, of course, you can always turn off the valve to auto-fill when you'll be away, if you're afraid about filling up the neighborhood!

That does not seem high for our area. I am closer to fort worth but that quote seems reasonable. You DO have some upgrades - LED lighting, Quartz plaster, and the paver deck. I was entertaining quotes and decided to go owner builder to save some $$ and give me more control over the project.

Here's the lessons we've learned:
1. Each region has different pricing (even within a state)
2. It really does not matter what I/we think of the pricing,,,, because we're not doing the work.
3. How busy PB's are may/will impact the price. We all want pools at the beginning of the swim season and that drives pricing.
4. We all agree to have PB only bid on the pool
5. Know what you want, your design, features, finish, etc..... This goes down to auto fill, pumps and lighting. Once you understand this, you'll be able to get better cost projections.
6. Determine what you're will to take on yourself. Relocating sprinkler lines is basic work and low risk.
7. If you have yet to commit to contract, can you wait another month or two? You might be surprised at PB's getting more competitive as the build season winds down.
8. Research, research, and do more research.
9. If you have to cut corners, do it on items that can be replaced later on; pumps, filters, etc..... not on the hard items, like pool size or water features you really want. Once that pools in, it's in....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.