Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sun deck water depth

1. Back To Top    #1

sun deck water depth

We are in the process of finalizing our pool design and hoping to dig the first part of August. We will have a 6' sun deck that will be 20' wide with two bubblers. The water depth is at 9" on the sun deck. That seems about right but wanted other people's opinion who have sun decks. Thanks!
    20x44x30 L shape Only Alpha with 6' sun deck with 2 bubblers, 350k heater, 1 1/2 HP and SWG. Dolphin Nautilus Plus. Estimated construction start time is beginning of Aug.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sun deck water depth

Ours is about 6, 9 or 10 would be better. Make sure it is 9 to middle of the tile and not to bottom of coping. Pics in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with the 9" depth. It appears that most bubblers work properly between 2" and 10" of water.

The issue I have is transitioning from the coping down to that depth is steep.

9" of water plus 3" more to top of bond beam is 12". Add another 3" for coping and that first step down off coping is now 15"!!!

You have to add a chicklet sized step to make that transition safe and more functional. I feel the difference in height between that small step might look/feel akward.

I'm at 14" of water on my ledge. 10" from coping to first step. 10" more down to ledge and I'm at 14" of water. Then 2 steps down both at 11" each get you to pool depth of 36".
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

We chose 6"... but not built yet. We'll see. LOL
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

Our sundeck is 8 inches of water and our coping is 2 1/4 inches. Stepping down from th coping to the Sundeck is no problem at all.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by grottoguy View Post
    Our sundeck is 8 inches of water and our coping is 2 1/4 inches. Stepping down from th coping to the Sundeck is no problem at all.
    Thanks grottoguy. What is yor shallow water depth? I'm curious what the riser measurements are on the remaining steps.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

From the surface of my deck, I have my sun ledge as the second step. There is 18 inches of water above it. We love it at that depth. You can drop a couple standard pool loungers in and the water comes right go the seat level. Very small kids like the depth for playing and we have it so that we can block off to keep them from leaving the sun ledge.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

image.jpg

I'm not sure I understand your question. Above is a computer generated drawing of our pool. From the sun deck there are no steps down to the pool and the depth ranged from about four feet to seven depending on where they exit the sundeck. On the right of the sun deck there is a bench that connects with the second step of the pool ( the steps are in the cutout on the right).
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I think the OP is talking about a sun shelf in the pool, not a deck above the water level.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit