Another lost New House Purchaser with IG Pool

Jun 19, 2015
Wichita, KS
Hi all. We also bought a new house and moved in last Sept. We had about one month enjoying the pool before having it closed for the winter. We have been having numerous issues with our auto cover this season that hopefully are straightened out but now I have noticed that I am vacumning sand off the floor every day it seems. Is it normally one thing after another with a pool? Are we walking into a situation where the equipment is reaching the end of its life time and will be needing replacement soon?

If someone could answer those questions and offer some guidance on the following issues I'll be very grateful:

1. Why so much sand in the pool?
2. Where are the suction and backwash valves located? There are 3 vavlves attached to a tube coming from the pump but none are labeled.
3. What should the pressure gauge on my filter read when it is working properly?

I am going to attach (hopefully) a picture of our setup to help identify what I am working with. Thanks and glad to have found someplace I can learn about what we have been wanting for so many years.
image.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Pool equipment can last a very long time if maintained.

1) Could be something is broken in the filter or that there is a problem with the gasket in the multi-port on the filter.
2) You have 3 suction lines that go into the pump ... all have the handles broken off (PVC ball valves are not recommended). You will have to play with them to ID what they go to. Possibilities: Skimmer (or 2?), floor drain, suction cleaner line
Backwash valve in on the filter.
3) Varies for every pool. Usually around 20psi, but could be lower and could be higher. If it does not go to 0 when the pump is off, it is broken and needs to be replaced. You should backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Thanks J. The gauge is at 20 when its on and does go to zero when off so that seems okay. Not quite sure I understand if you're saying the backwash valve is attached to the actual filter?

Would it help narrow done why the excess sand if I told you that about a month ago, after vacumning, it seemed that everything I vacumned came right back out the outlet valves and into the water. That has not happened again but it was awfully strange. The water did clear after several minutes afterwards.

Something you didn't ask, but I noticed from your picture...in the far right, I see what looks like a flow sensor for a salt system, and what looks like either a Hayward or circupool cell behind it. I'm fairly certain that the flow sensor is supposed to go behind the cell relative to the filter, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know if your salt system is functional?

Not quite sure I understand if you're saying the backwash valve is attached to the actual filter?

4acc64089e141952985434648a21c70f.jpg

I've cropped out everything in your photo except the valve...it's the diagonal handle looking thing. You push down on the end pointing up, which allows you to turn the valve into the various positions (filter, backwash, rinse, waste). When the valve is set to backwash, water will come out that blue hose you have attached to the filter.

Something you didn't ask, but I noticed from your picture...in the far right, I see what looks like a flow sensor for a salt system, and what looks like either a Hayward or circupool cell behind it. I'm fairly certain that the flow sensor is supposed to go behind the cell relative to the filter, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know if your salt system is functional?

It does not matter where the flow sensor is relative to the cell as long as there ids straight pipe before it the sensor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.