Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another lost New House Purchaser with IG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Another lost New House Purchaser with IG Pool

Hi all. We also bought a new house and moved in last Sept. We had about one month enjoying the pool before having it closed for the winter. We have been having numerous issues with our auto cover this season that hopefully are straightened out but now I have noticed that I am vacumning sand off the floor every day it seems. Is it normally one thing after another with a pool? Are we walking into a situation where the equipment is reaching the end of its life time and will be needing replacement soon?

If someone could answer those questions and offer some guidance on the following issues I'll be very grateful:

1. Why so much sand in the pool?
    2. Where are the suction and backwash valves located? There are 3 vavlves attached to a tube coming from the pump but none are labeled.
    3. What should the pressure gauge on my filter read when it is working properly?

I am going to attach (hopefully) a picture of our setup to help identify what I am working with. Thanks and glad to have found someplace I can learn about what we have been wanting for so many years.
    image.jpg
    20,000 gallon Salt Water Vinyl IG
    Pentair 60/60D Targeus Sand Filter with Pentair Challenger Pump
    Installed 2005. We bought the house in 2014.
    Retired Marine Corps, current Air Force civilians

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another lost New House Purchaser with IG Pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

Pool equipment can last a very long time if maintained.

1) Could be something is broken in the filter or that there is a problem with the gasket in the multi-port on the filter.
    2) You have 3 suction lines that go into the pump ... all have the handles broken off (PVC ball valves are not recommended). You will have to play with them to ID what they go to. Possibilities: Skimmer (or 2?), floor drain, suction cleaner line
    Backwash valve in on the filter.
    3) Varies for every pool. Usually around 20psi, but could be lower and could be higher. If it does not go to 0 when the pump is off, it is broken and needs to be replaced. You should backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks J. The gauge is at 20 when its on and does go to zero when off so that seems okay. Not quite sure I understand if you're saying the backwash valve is attached to the actual filter?

Would it help narrow done why the excess sand if I told you that about a month ago, after vacumning, it seemed that everything I vacumned came right back out the outlet valves and into the water. That has not happened again but it was awfully strange. The water did clear after several minutes afterwards.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

The backwash valve is on the top of the sand filter.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Something you didn't ask, but I noticed from your picture...in the far right, I see what looks like a flow sensor for a salt system, and what looks like either a Hayward or circupool cell behind it. I'm fairly certain that the flow sensor is supposed to go behind the cell relative to the filter, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know if your salt system is functional?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyWestside View Post
    Not quite sure I understand if you're saying the backwash valve is attached to the actual filter?

I've cropped out everything in your photo except the valve...it's the diagonal handle looking thing. You push down on the end pointing up, which allows you to turn the valve into the various positions (filter, backwash, rinse, waste). When the valve is set to backwash, water will come out that blue hose you have attached to the filter.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gilbee View Post
    Something you didn't ask, but I noticed from your picture...in the far right, I see what looks like a flow sensor for a salt system, and what looks like either a Hayward or circupool cell behind it. I'm fairly certain that the flow sensor is supposed to go behind the cell relative to the filter, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know if your salt system is functional?
    It does not matter where the flow sensor is relative to the cell as long as there ids straight pipe before it the sensor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I went to a pool store today and they explained the valve where the blue hose connects to the filter need to be open so the backwash can flow out.

Appreciate the help and want to say there is a lot of good info in here.

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't turn the valve unless the pump is off
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.