Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Pressure gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter Pressure gauge

Very new at this...

I recently completely cleaned out my DE Filter, took it apart, soaked it in Muriatic Acid, etc.

Set it back up today and filled it with diatomite. My pressure gauge before even turning the pump on was at 5. Assuming my gauge might be a little off? After adding diatomite, I note the pressure at 14. Should I use 14 as my baseline then? If so, when should I regenerate? At 24? Thanks!
    24' Round AGP, 4' deep, vinyl siding. 13,500 Gallons. Hayward Perflex DE Filter (EC40C75). Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump. TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter Pressure gauge

You need to replace the gauge. tftestkits.net sell really nice glycerin filled ones for the same cost as the junk typically found locally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pressure actually just jumped to 17 in the past hour or so. Pool is very dirty, pump hasn't run continuously literally for about 9 months now.
    24' Round AGP, 4' deep, vinyl siding. 13,500 Gallons. Hayward Perflex DE Filter (EC40C75). Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump. TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The gauge is bad.

You're going to have to judge clogging by the flow out the returns until you get a new gauge. They're not much harder than changing a light bulb. A little plumber's tape and a wrench or pliers will do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, gauge hit around 19, and water at this point started flowing out around the clamp seal of the filter. Everything seemed to be running fine until that pressure got up there. Water flying out the return to the pool. Any advice there?

It's dark out there now, so I just shut off the pump for the night. Will tackle it tomorrow!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, went and ordered the suggested glycerin gauge 2nd day air, so should hopefully have it by Wednesday. Have the pump going again right now, holding steady at 17. Went and added my Borax and CYA, because I'm anxious to start a SLAM. Hopefully that pressure won't jump up again and start shooting water out the clamp again. Think I might need to open it up and grease the seal if it does? Or bump it?

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you put some silicone grease on the seal prior to putting it together? That helps the lid slide on and seat to prevent leaks. You may also need a new seal.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.