Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help -- DE going back to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help -- DE going back to pool

So I asked a pool guy to clean our DE filters. After he left, I noticed that the pool, which was almost crystal clear before cleaning the filters, started to become cloudy. I thoght maybe some of the DE was left in the return line but after a couple of hours, I see that it became worse. I went to look at the filter and noticed that the DE filter valve was in the OPEN position (there are only the LOCKED and OPEN positions on my valve). I immediately turned the pump off then switched the valve to LOCKED.

A few questions, does the OPEN position allow DE to go bacl to the pool? Also, do I have to do anything about the DE in the pool - or would that go back to the filter. I am thinking since there might not be any DE left in the filter, the DE will just continue to return to the pool.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Help -- DE going back to pool

Hello Stephen and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Help -- DE going back to pool

Time to pick up the phone and tell the pool guy what happened. And if he doesn't come over and straighten things out today, fire him.

Someone needs to vacuum up the DE that is back in the pool, then do a teardown and inspection and if things are okay, recharge the DE and let it filter out the stragglers.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!