Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this algae?

I've been slamming for 3 weeks and water is clear but can't get rid of these brown spots and such? What is it? How do I get rid of it?

FC: 25
    CC: 0
    Ph: 7.2
    CYA: under 20. I'll bring this up.

26,700 gal (rectangular 18" x 36', CES 3'10" x 4'), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Super pump 1.5HP, sand filter-Hayward S244T, built roughly 5yrs ago I think, 1 1/2" pipe, TF-100, Well and city water available.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this algae?

Um, if your CYA is under 20ppm, then why is your FC at 25ppm That is not good for your liner.

Have you tried the OCLT yet?

You sure you do not just get a lot of dust or pollen?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the fc high thinking it's algae. Are you sure it's not? I thought if it's pollen it would be everywhere but it's not. It's like small clumps here and there and seems to come back in the same area. It's brown and sand like. I'll do the oclt and see what happens. So how can I tell?
    26,700 gal (rectangular 18" x 36', CES 3'10" x 4'), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Super pump 1.5HP, sand filter-Hayward S244T, built roughly 5yrs ago I think, 1 1/2" pipe, TF-100, Well and city water available.

4. Back To Top    #4

Even if it is algae, you FC is WAY too high for your CYA level. Are you using PoolMath and the FC/CYA Chart to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I know it's way high but I was following pool math but cloudy water wasn't clearing until I did that and cc was a about .5 and 1 until I used high FC. Now cc is 0. I should mention the sandy is mostly in the sunny shallow area and very little on deep side. I was doing FC of 12 and didn't clear up so I doubled it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, we would never recommend doubling the shock level ... you may as well start going to the pool store for advice if you want to just dump massive amounts of chemicals in your pool potentially causing damage. That is not the TFP way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I did the sock test. Put it on both return line and now there is nothing on the floor/walls but when I look in the sock I see nothing there too. I've left the sock for almost a week and the water is clear. So what is it? I will take the sock off this weekend and see if it comes back but if it does what can I assume it is?

8. Back To Top    #8

What do those brown spots feel like?

My guess was dirt/dust that gets blown into the pool, which settles in areas with little agitation/flow. I get lots of dust/dirt in the corners of my steps.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

9. Back To Top    #9

I have the same thing I think , I brush and vac. Its keeps coming back . trying to get my cya up to 30 I'm a little shy . It's driving me crazy the water is clearer then it's ever been
    Ester Williams vinyl liner 24ft. Round above ground 13500 gal. Hayward pro series sand filter , Hayward 1.0 hp pump

10. Back To Top    #10

It is a simple process to keep algae away and it is a simple process to get rid of algae.

To keep algae away keep the chlorine at target level for your CYA level at all times and never let it drop below minimum to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

If you do get some algae SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to get rid of the algae.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by sxch12 View Post
    I know it's way high but I was following pool math but cloudy water wasn't clearing until I did that and cc was a about .5 and 1 until I used high FC. Now cc is 0. I should mention the sandy is mostly in the sunny shallow area and very little on deep side. I was doing FC of 12 and didn't clear up so I doubled it.
    There is no shortcut to a proper SLAM. Doubling, or in this case 2.5X, the FC level is not going to make the SLAM take half the time.

A CC of 0.5ppm is acceptable per the SLAM instructions.

The fact that the algae cleared when you doubled the dose was probably coincidental and would have happened anyway.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go swimming in there until that FC drops below 10ppm.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Whatever it is, it is probably settling in the little indentations at the bottom of your pool. Unless your pool floor is completely flat anything that's not filtering out can settle down there. Any dirt or debris that I have in my pool always shows in the same places. Along the seams and in every little dent in the pool floor. (and I have a lot of them!)
    I'm just pointing out that the fact that it shows up in the same areas could be something other than that it's algae growing there.

An OCLT should tell you if something is growing in the pool.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Pass the SLAM, then try adding DE to your sand filter. It will help get the finer particulates out when you vacuum. That's all it looks like to me.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

So when I put the sock over the returns and run the pump it's crystal clear (I look in sock and no sand). When I leave the pump off for 24hrs. its' crystal clear. If I run the pump without the sock the brown stuff shows up. OCLT is 0 to .5. So, FC does not go down when I add chlorine in the evening and test in the morning. So, does that mean there is something wrong with my sand filter? It's much finer than sand that I see. Once I brush it then it disappears until I run the pump without the sock.