North Texas pool people

The thing about contractors (not just pools) is that everything is always sweet & clean at the showroom or when you are about to hire for a job. It's when the rubber meets the road you learn more of what's really important - timeliness, quality, professionalism. Even the best contractors out there are only as good as the employees they hire, and believe me, they get ALL kinds. They may be skilled, but they have personal issues and such that delay work schedules just as much as equipment, rain, etc.

I have typically found it best to keep good notes and a cool head. When the time presents itself to call or visit someone about your timeline or anything else, you'll definitely know deep-down it's time to express what's on your mind.

- - - Updated - - -

In fairness, I should also say not all contractors are bad. Not at all. But I have just gotten to the point in my own personal experience where I am not surprised when this type of thing happens. I try not to let it overwhelm me or damage the relationship I have with the contractor. Deep breath.

I remember before I started my PB was explaining the process & possible delays. I think I remember him saying that after a rain, they need 3 days to dry out for a good dig. But it might just be my ground. ??

I'm in Dallas, and almost complete with the build. It's been a rainy spring, and just about everything has been delayed. The plaster crew came today, and left because the gunite was too "humid." I'm sure that's happening with everything - our dig was in the middle of the deluge, and they had to come back three times to re-dig. I'm sure it's the same where you are - the weather backs up everything more than just a single day. Good news is dry, hot weather ahead!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think all contractors in ALL the trades hate to give dates. It is essentially predicting the future and they just don't like the extra work involved to cover the myriad variables.

I believe they must be pushed in a very nice way. If your PB says he'll dig on Wednesday, I believe you MUST call him the Wednesday prior and ask," Good Morning, I have some other things to schedule around your work and I want to make sure we are still on for this coming Wednesday?"

He'll likely tap dance around your question with a ,"Well, it depends......". Follow up with more push....."When will you have the "it depends" solved.

If you stay nice and professional, he will get your work done rather than be put on the spot with your VERY NICE relentless approach.

None of us should have to do that but over the many years, I find it works about as well as anything.

I know how you feel, we have been waiting since the end of April and it keeps getting pushed... they were suppose to start today and got pushed to Wednesday the night before... :)

We signed our contract April 13 and they are scheduled to dig this Monday. So excited !! I have tried to maintain my cool but it's been hard. But in the end we decided we'd rather wait for the rain to end, build a quality pool with as few problems as possible. I'm so glad we didn't push our pb.

I am awaiting a dig on my owner builder in Keller Texas. We are approximately 3-5 weeks out from the dig. All of North Texas construction (specifically Outdoor work) is extremely backed up.

We have gotten so much rain that the ground is more saturated than usual, so 1 day of rain is enough to make digging a bad idea.

I am with you! Our dig hasn't started yet 0 should start in about 2 weeks, I hope. And as much as I would HATE a delay, I would hate poor quality or the risk of digging when they shouldn't even more.

Hang in there!

You really don't want to dig in this anyways. We dug our pool and with all the rain, the walls etc. began caving in. It turned into a total mess for us. In the end, it looks great, but I would really wait until the weather holds up so you get a nice clean dig.

My PB said that 1 day of rain sets everything back at least 2 days. Part of the problem is that wherever they are taking the dirt from your dig is too wet to get to, so they can't dump it. They have to wait for it to dry out. And their crews are busy digging out cave-ins, too. We signed on March 15th and didn't dig until June 5th. I feel your pain, but you should hang in there. It will get done. We just got our gunite on Friday.

I just posted a new thread for my build and they have seem to get in between the weather for key phases so far. I guess each builder has a que going for their jobs and where you may sit in that que. Ask them how many they have in line, they should be transparent enough with you to not give out confidential info but keep a customer happy.
Hang in there and it's still HOT in Sepetember, October.

Well this morning isn't helping move things along. Thinking of canceling the pool and doing it next year

I said the same thing a week ago. We signed our contract April 13. Oops !! That should have told me something !! Here it is June 21 !! Anyway our dig is scheduled for tomorrow ! Hang in there, it will happen ! In a nice but assertive way, ask your pb where you are in line for the dig. Ask how many pools is he presently building. Truthfully, I am glad they waited for the rain to stop. I've heard too many horror stories about cave ins. I really hope things start to happen for you soon !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.