Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Texas pool people

1. Back To Top    #1

North Texas pool people

If you haven't started digging or just started:

Are your pool builders really behind? Are they putting off your dig date? My date keeps getting pushed back further and further.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: North Texas pool people

Well.....we have had a teeny tiny little trace of rain lately!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes but some are digging. I just find it hard to believe that after one day of rain, that's all we had from TS Bill that my date is pushed back more than one day. At this point I don't have a dig date again.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That doesn't seem right. I've been trying to figure out why one day of rain would set you back to no dig date. I don't have an answer. Did the PB explain more? (I doubt it but thought I'd ask anyway.) Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

The thing about contractors (not just pools) is that everything is always sweet & clean at the showroom or when you are about to hire for a job. It's when the rubber meets the road you learn more of what's really important - timeliness, quality, professionalism. Even the best contractors out there are only as good as the employees they hire, and believe me, they get ALL kinds. They may be skilled, but they have personal issues and such that delay work schedules just as much as equipment, rain, etc.

I have typically found it best to keep good notes and a cool head. When the time presents itself to call or visit someone about your timeline or anything else, you'll definitely know deep-down it's time to express what's on your mind.

- - - Updated - - -

In fairness, I should also say not all contractors are bad. Not at all. But I have just gotten to the point in my own personal experience where I am not surprised when this type of thing happens. I try not to let it overwhelm me or damage the relationship I have with the contractor. Deep breath.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Typical contractor this time of year will probably have several pools in progress.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I remember before I started my PB was explaining the process & possible delays. I think I remember him saying that after a rain, they need 3 days to dry out for a good dig. But it might just be my ground. ??
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm in Dallas, and almost complete with the build. It's been a rainy spring, and just about everything has been delayed. The plaster crew came today, and left because the gunite was too "humid." I'm sure that's happening with everything - our dig was in the middle of the deluge, and they had to come back three times to re-dig. I'm sure it's the same where you are - the weather backs up everything more than just a single day. Good news is dry, hot weather ahead!
    16x36 in-ground rectangular, Jandy equipment, cartridge filter, LED multi-color light, Polaris 280, Durazzo plaster

9. Back To Top    #9

Lots of PBs over extend and wind up way behind. Kinda add in to what woodyp said....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the replies. I'm just getting really antsy! I feel like I won't have my pool till September.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I think all contractors in ALL the trades hate to give dates. It is essentially predicting the future and they just don't like the extra work involved to cover the myriad variables.

I believe they must be pushed in a very nice way. If your PB says he'll dig on Wednesday, I believe you MUST call him the Wednesday prior and ask," Good Morning, I have some other things to schedule around your work and I want to make sure we are still on for this coming Wednesday?"

He'll likely tap dance around your question with a ,"Well, it depends......". Follow up with more push....."When will you have the "it depends" solved.

If you stay nice and professional, he will get your work done rather than be put on the spot with your VERY NICE relentless approach.

None of us should have to do that but over the many years, I find it works about as well as anything.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I know how you feel, we have been waiting since the end of April and it keeps getting pushed... they were suppose to start today and got pushed to Wednesday the night before...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

13. Back To Top    #13

We signed our contract April 13 and they are scheduled to dig this Monday. So excited !! I have tried to maintain my cool but it's been hard. But in the end we decided we'd rather wait for the rain to end, build a quality pool with as few problems as possible. I'm so glad we didn't push our pb.
    Houston,TX, IG 15120 gal, gunite, 22' x 36',wet edge finish, Pentair equip, 420 cartridge filter, vs pump, Intelliflo vs booster pump for water features, 400,000 heater, auto fill ,PCC 2000 in floor cleaning ,2 LED lights,travertine coping, paver decking, 9x12 tanning shelf ,1 LED color bubbler, 2 5' benches w jets. Depth 4- 4 1/2- 5 , wall with 3 24" sheer decent , 2 spray heads, Intellitouch Controller.

14. Back To Top    #14

I am awaiting a dig on my owner builder in Keller Texas. We are approximately 3-5 weeks out from the dig. All of North Texas construction (specifically Outdoor work) is extremely backed up.

15. Back To Top    #15

We have gotten so much rain that the ground is more saturated than usual, so 1 day of rain is enough to make digging a bad idea.

I am with you! Our dig hasn't started yet 0 should start in about 2 weeks, I hope. And as much as I would HATE a delay, I would hate poor quality or the risk of digging when they shouldn't even more.

Hang in there!
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

16. Back To Top    #16

You really don't want to dig in this anyways. We dug our pool and with all the rain, the walls etc. began caving in. It turned into a total mess for us. In the end, it looks great, but I would really wait until the weather holds up so you get a nice clean dig.

17. Back To Top    #17

Well this morning isn't helping move things along. Thinking of canceling the pool and doing it next year

18. Back To Top    #18

My PB said that 1 day of rain sets everything back at least 2 days. Part of the problem is that wherever they are taking the dirt from your dig is too wet to get to, so they can't dump it. They have to wait for it to dry out. And their crews are busy digging out cave-ins, too. We signed on March 15th and didn't dig until June 5th. I feel your pain, but you should hang in there. It will get done. We just got our gunite on Friday.
    Janice - Free form gunite, 18k gallons, 98' perimeter, flagstone coping, 4'-5'-6' w/18" raised 8'x6' spa w/moss rock veneer & 6 jets; 7' sun shelf w/bubbler; 2 benches, 2 GloBrite lights + 1 in spa; 400k BTU gas heater; Chlorinator In Line + ozone + uv; Pentair Intelliflo 4x160 SVRS, Pentair 520 cartridge, Pentair Racer, EZ Touch Lite remote; 550 s.f. washed aggregate decking; "Driftwood" Designer Series plaster.

19. Back To Top    #19

I just posted a new thread for my build and they have seem to get in between the weather for key phases so far. I guess each builder has a que going for their jobs and where you may sit in that que. Ask them how many they have in line, they should be transparent enough with you to not give out confidential info but keep a customer happy.
    Hang in there and it's still HOT in Sepetember, October.
    Free form | 14k gal | 81 pf | 3.5' - 5' - 4' | Dolphin M500 | intelli FLO VS 3 hp | heat pump ultra temp hp 90 | quad 60 DE | ic40 swcg | Aqua blue mini pebble | 5g LED

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by amandahein3 View Post
    Well this morning isn't helping move things along. Thinking of canceling the pool and doing it next year
    I said the same thing a week ago. We signed our contract April 13. Oops !! That should have told me something !! Here it is June 21 !! Anyway our dig is scheduled for tomorrow ! Hang in there, it will happen ! In a nice but assertive way, ask your pb where you are in line for the dig. Ask how many pools is he presently building. Truthfully, I am glad they waited for the rain to stop. I've heard too many horror stories about cave ins. I really hope things start to happen for you soon !!
    Houston,TX, IG 15120 gal, gunite, 22' x 36',wet edge finish, Pentair equip, 420 cartridge filter, vs pump, Intelliflo vs booster pump for water features, 400,000 heater, auto fill ,PCC 2000 in floor cleaning ,2 LED lights,travertine coping, paver decking, 9x12 tanning shelf ,1 LED color bubbler, 2 5' benches w jets. Depth 4- 4 1/2- 5 , wall with 3 24" sheer decent , 2 spray heads, Intellitouch Controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast