Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water not reaching chlorine generator

1. Back To Top    #1

water not reaching chlorine generator

I just installed a salt water chlorine generator. When I turn the pump on, water seems to be flowing normally; water comes out of the returns in the pool forcefully. But water does not flow into the generator cell, which is mounted (following the manufacturer's instructions) 6 inches above the return line.

The manufacturer of the chlorine generator says the water flow must be insufficient, but I don't see any leaks. I can see water moving in the vertical pipes just below the generator, but it doesn't quite get into the body of the generator. Any suggestions? I attached a photo; I hope you can see it. P6190365.jpg
    Northern Virginia; 18,000 gallon Gunite pool; salt water chlorine generator; sand filter with Zeobrite; 1.5 HP main pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water not reaching chlorine generator

Hi welcome to TFP,

Im afraid you have it plumbed incorrectly.
    You need to Remove the 2 Tee's. Put a 90 up into the front side of the cell, then come out the other side and into the return line.
    Basically, the plumbing w/ Cell should look like upside down U

With teh T's installed, the water is just going straight through and there isnt enough flow and resistance to push water into the cell.

Edit to add:
    Also, can you explain more about the entire plumbing. From the pic, it looks like Pump > Filter > Cell > Heater ... is this how you have it? Or is it the other way around.... its hard to tell from the pic.

If the cell is in front of the Heater, you dont want that high chlorine water from the cell going through the heater.
    The cell should be the very last thing the water goes thorough, before it goes back into the pool.

I hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is something I would totally do. LOL
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

Duh! Now that you explain it, Dave, it's obvious. I used Tees instead of 90 degree elbows, so the water is of course bypassing the cell. Believe it or not, I renovate houses and do a lot of my own plumbing, but somehow I screwed this up.

As for the plumbing: the cell is the last thing. The water goes from the heater, through a check valve, and then to the cell. I was smart enough to install a check valve to keep highly chlorinated water from flowing back to the heater -- but dumb enough to plumb the cell wrong. Thank you!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Hi welcome to TFP,

Im afraid you have it plumbed incorrectly.
    You need to Remove the 2 Tee's. Put a 90 up into the front side of the cell, then come out the other side and into the return line.
    Basically, the plumbing w/ Cell should look like upside down U

With teh T's installed, the water is just going straight through and there isnt enough flow and resistance to push water into the cell.

Edit to add:
    Also, can you explain more about the entire plumbing. From the pic, it looks like Pump > Filter > Cell > Heater ... is this how you have it? Or is it the other way around.... its hard to tell from the pic.

If the cell is in front of the Heater, you dont want that high chlorine water from the cell going through the heater.
    The cell should be the very last thing the water goes thorough, before it goes back into the pool.

I hope this helps,
    Northern Virginia; 18,000 gallon Gunite pool; salt water chlorine generator; sand filter with Zeobrite; 1.5 HP main pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, with a SWG there is no need for a check valve after the heater. Because when the water is not flowing the SWG should not be generating there for there is nothing to flow backward to the heater.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!