Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Canadian Test Kits

1. Back To Top    #1

Canadian Test Kits

I did a quick search and see that this comes up every year or so, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a test kit other than Taylor's, since I can't find any information on Apollo's still being in business and not one else seems to carry their products up here (even Amazon just has them through sketchy looking resellers). The Taylor's distributor up her also won't answer by emails about buying direct...

If you can't think of a good product, even just a list of what tests it absolutely should include, so I can look around up here would be great. Unfortunately I'm in a rural area and don't know anyone across the border to ship to, but our mail service here is pretty good and I can get to Toronto with a bit of planning.

Any ideas?
    ~22,000 gallon (80000L) in-ground, vinyl pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Canadian Test Kits

You can see what tests it should include in the Recommended Test Kits comparison.

K-2006 is your only option and there are most certainly companies up there that sell it (not Apollo any more).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Polar_girl,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "buying direct".

I live in Montreal area and I bought my Taylor K-2006 through

Lowry and Associates - Pool, Spa and Industrial Testing Products

You have to order by sending them an email and then fill up an order form and send it back to them. They were quite helpful by email. Don't be put off if you get this initial response that I got:

"The kit you are asking about is normally used by commercial operators and Public Health Inspectors. Some of what is included may not be used or needed before they expire and I would hate for you to have spent money on tests you do not need. Do you expect to test for Calcium Hardness? Cyanuric Acid? We might be able to customize a kit so that it is better suited to your needs.

Please let me know, we will help whichever way we can"

I also highly recommend a Taylor Speedstir which I bought from them as well. This will stir as you add drops. Makes like easier and a must in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Round Above ground Cedar pool 18ft (approximately 30,000L = 8000 gallons), Hayward 2 speed 1.5HP pump, Hayward XStream Cartridge filter, Hayward Titanium HP50B 55,000 BTU heat pump, Hayward offline chlorinator, Big dipper ozonator.

4. Back To Top    #4

This member ordered a custom kit ... not exactly sure from whom, but likely directly from Lowry:
    Pool/Pump problems, very detailed, need help please. - Page 4

- - - Updated - - -

These words are just testing a theory
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Polar Girl. Sadly there are no high-end tests easily available, except the above mentioned Taylor k-2006, which will likely cost a lot more loonies and toonies than if you bought it in the u.s.

I was luckily able to have my TF-100 shipped to my sister in PA, who brought it up to Canada when she visited (also the speedstir!).

A proper TFP kit consists of FAS-DPD test for FC and CC, calcium hardness, pH, total alkalinity and CYA
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100