Newbie and just did my first K-2006 test...pH high, FC low

Jun 17, 2015
Georgia
We are a few days past a new fill. We had a heavy rain last night so I added some stuff because I knew the test kit was coming today. We've had CYA in there for about 48 hours and socks are empty because we have squeezed them so much. So here are my results:

FC - 1.5 (pool math says add 15 oz bleach)
CC - .5 (assuming I'm okay here)
pH - 8 and could even be a little higher cause it seemed even more of a hot pink than level 8. (think I went to heavy with borax last night)
TA - 90
CYA - about 45...let's say just over 40 but not quite to 50. Switching to SWG as soon as we get everything chemically stable.
Didn't test CH or salt yet.

So I'm wondering if I can let the pH just hang out there. Will it drift on it's own or with pool use?
Anything else I need to do besides bleach? Can kids swim after I put the bleach in?

Thanks so much!

You need to lower the pH and keep it in the 7s and start maintaining a higher FC level based on your CYA level according to the FC/CYA Chart.

- - - Updated - - -

Kids can swim about 30 minutes after you add the bleach and acid (not mixed together of course). Add the bleach slowly over the return, brush the bottom a bit to ensure it is mixed, then add the muriatic acid in the same manner and brush again to mix. After that should be good to swim.

Congrats on the new pool!

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Add acid when it gets to 7.8 to lower it to 7.2-7.5. PH tends not to lower, but it does some for people. You will have to monitor it for a while to see how yours acts.

Yes, kids can swim about 30 minutes after you add bleach in front of the pool return with the pump on.

It is important to maintain free chlorine above the minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. Aim for the target or slightly above the target. If you know you will be doing a lot of swimming take it up to 10 or so before and after to make sure it does not drop below minimum. Use 50 as your CYA level when looking at the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

It is safe to swim when:
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Chlorine level is above minimum for CYA
Chlorine level is below shock level for CYA
Water is clear

So should I assume my CYA is 50 and then maybe test at the 7 day mark from when I added just to make sure it hasn't gone much higher? Also, from what I'm understanding then keeping my FC about 6 is target but it would be okay if it went up to a 7 or so. Basically I'm thinking if I keep on working to get it higher and get a little over zealous it would okay as long as I'm not getting way up there in shock values.
And CC will only go up if there is a problem? Or will that go up if I'm putting too much bleach in to get the FC up?

Thanks again! You guys are really awesome to help out the inexperienced (and in my case I'll just say ignorant!) ;)

It is more important that you do not let the FC drop below the minimum than what you target. Certainly fine to be a little high, safe to swim up to shock level in fact.

CC should stay low all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.