JesseSchmidt, New House, New Pool!

Jun 19, 2015
Fairfield Twp, OH
My wife and I have lived in a condo for the last 9 years but have been trying to sell for the last 3 to move into a house. In just over a week, we will be closing on both. The new house has a nice in-ground pool and I know nothing about maintaining it. So I'll be after guidance regularly this summer! I have already read through Pool School, ABC's and SLAMing your pool. Looks like there are plenty of knowledgeable people to help me along the way!

Welcome to the forum! As others have advised you will need a good test kit so you can take control of your new pool. You should also consider getting the Taylor Speedstir which makes testing much faster and easier. I found this site three years ago and it is like finding the Holy Grail of pool care. It will save you time and money and make pool ownership a breeze. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I have not purchased the kit yet but I plan to get one soon. Now that the move is over, time to get the maintenance routine going. I have been trying to get and idea of how much the pump should be running as the previous owner has it set to ON! Any ideas?

How are you chlorinating the pool? That probably makes the biggest difference. As far as skimming and filtering 4-6 hours is plenty. If you have a timer that can have two settings then 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening is good. To split up the skimming.