Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new intex 3000 gph sand filter has borderline high pressure.

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new intex 3000 gph sand filter has borderline high pressure.

I used #20 pool sand, filled it between the lines it suggested, made sure to get none in the pipe, backwashed as instructed for 3 minutes and the water was clear. Then I rinsed for 3 minutes as instructed. Then when I put it to filter it was at 10psi which is right on the line between green and yellow. After a day or two of filtering it was in the yellow. I backwashed again the same as before and it dropped back to 10 psi. My question is, why is the filter starting out at such a high psi? Is there something wrong with it? I also get sand in the sediment window when backwashing and have noticed it spitting some sand into the pool after I backwash. Not sure if that is related but unsure of how to proceed at this point.
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Brand new intex 3000 gph sand filter has borderline high pressure.

When you do a routine back wash you only need to wait for water to turn clear. Usually about 1 minute. Then rinse 30 sec to 1 minute. I get a little sandin pool after backwash, but less than a teaspoon. The guages are cheap and I usually just backwash when my return flow slows down from the return.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my PSI was 5, but after I installed my skimmer it changed to 9psi for clean.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I do not have a skimmer currently. I am just worried that the pump is going to be constantly working harder and it won't last as long as if the PSI was at 5 or so. Considering returning it but that seems like such a pain!
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Pumps do not really "work harder" and there is really no such thing as too high a pressure. As long as water is flowing you are fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!