Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light Placement

1. Back To Top    #1

Light Placement

We are getting (2) Pentair LED lights. They were out this morning putting in the lights and left after only installing 1. I sent the PB a message but in the mean time I thought I would post the location of the first light ON TFP as I had just assumed that the one in the deep end would be centered under the Grotto and the one in the shallow end would just be centered on that wall. We discussed having one in the deep end and one in the shallow end both pointing the length of the pool but we never really discuss specific locations. I know that I have read that we don't want them facing the house but that is all I really recall concerning location. Your thoughts on the current location of the one in the deep end? As you can see, the one in the deep end is just to the left of the Grotto facing the tanning ledge.

Pool size is 21 x 40 free form. 3.5 - 4.5 shallow end to 8.5 deep end.

My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light Placement

Personally this is what I would have done....
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

i agree with oz

4. Back To Top    #4

Just got this response from the PB: I am putting 1 main light in and then 1 shallow light in the cave and 1 shallow light on the tanning ledge.

Thoughts?
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

i have a feeling the pool may be a little dark on one end. I'm no expert though

6. Back To Top    #6

So let me understand.
    The 2 light blue are shallow
    The Dark Blue is the main one.
    Have I positioned them where he says they are going?

40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,

7. Back To Top    #7

This is my understanding. The green are the shallow lights with the one at the bottom actually being in the cave. I'm guessing that will make the waterfall look cool at night. The other green one is on the tanning ledge where the water will be 12" deep. Just sent this to the PB to verify.

8. Back To Top    #8

He responded "yes, with one more in the middle of the shallow end." So I am guessing it will be like this

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, so now you're making my pictures look like a 5 yr old did them. Hah!
    My immediate thought is, after my pride was dusted off, was that there will be a shadow spot at the shelf opposite the house. (very obvious to people on patio)
    Having the main light @ the other edge of the cave structure, between skimmer & the step out would alleviate this.
    If there is a little shadow on the house side of pool it goes unnoticed because you are typically on the house side of pool.