how to lower TA

Jun 17, 2015
Sparta, KY
Hello. I have just refilled the 24x 48" pool. I keep adding acid to lower the TA which is 320 from the faucet. The Ph is7.2. Yesterday, I had the TA down to 180 by slowly pouring 2 gallons of acid around the pool. Than we had hard rain and the TA is back to 320 ppm. What's the best way to lower this. How many gallons of acid does it take? It's about 13,600 gallons. Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

Adding acid only temporarily lowers TA. What you need to do is follow the Lowering Total Alkalinity
instructions.

It can be time consuming, but usually lowering your TA isn't urgent. My fill water is 480ppm TA, and I've been able to get mine down to a very reasonable number by following the process and letting rainwater replace my water over the winter.

Hello. I have just refilled the 24x 48" pool. I keep adding acid to lower the TA which is 320 from the faucet. The Ph is7.2. Yesterday, I had the TA down to 180 by slowly pouring 2 gallons of acid around the pool. Than we had hard rain and the TA is back to 320 ppm. What's the best way to lower this. How many gallons of acid does it take? It's about 13,600 gallons. Thank you!

Something isn't right about this. Adding 2 gallons of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) to 13,600 gallons would lower the TA from 320 ppm to 246 ppm. I suspect you didn't wait long enough to test so you were testing water that had more acid that wasn't yet distributed elsewhere in the pool so then read 180 ppm. However, you should not have seen the TA get back up to 320 ppm and presumably rain would not be that high in TA. A hard rain would raise the pH, but should not affect the TA (unless a significant amount of water was replaced by rain water though usually that lowers the TA).

At any rate, the Lowering TA procedure is what to follow, but I'm concerned that you are not measuring the TA correctly. Are the drops from the dropper tip well formed and hang before dropping or are they squirting out? If the latter, wipe the dropper tip with a moist cloth since you may have static electricity on the dropper tip and are getting a falsely high TA reading. This water quality report shows that total hardness is around 158 mg/L so CH would be less than that, typically around 70% or around 110 ppm. So I don't think the tap water actually has as high a TA as you say unless you are measuring well water and not water from Kentucky American Water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.