Request for Advice: Rennovation in Massachusetts

Mar 24, 2012
Hi,

I've lurked for a few years on this board since buying a house with a pool in 2010. The pool was built at the same time as the house, in 1978 and the plaster is original. It is time to replaster and retile. The tile is actually in excellent shape but is a yucky brown color so we are going to replace it when we replaster, and the coping is in generally really good shape too. The 3 reno companies that have quoted the reno have all commented on the quality of the pool build, so I am lucky in that. We also need to replace the skimmer which is leaking owing to shifting of the decking over time and resultant twisting and cracking of the swimmer body. Think epoxy city.

We are going to do wet edge luna quartz and 2" tile that color matches. My question is about timing of the resurface. My wife would like to delay the work until Sept as we use the pool with our two kids and friends through the summer season. She is not excited about having the work done in July and not being able to use the pool for a week while the work is done and then not run the heater for a month thereafter.

My preference would be to do it as soon as possible so that I can have as long a time as possible to manage the water chemistry before we close and cover the pool to maximize the lifetime of the surface. We are actually arguing about this and we don't really argue about much so it is a sensitive topic. I really don't want to trade long-term durability for convenience.

So here are my questions:

1. If I plan to close the pool on November 1st, would I be OK having the work completed by September 1st? That would give me 2 months to manage chemistry, brush, not run the heater, etc. until I close the pool. Is that enough time to ensure longevity of the surface if I do it right?

2. I believe that I would also need to manage the pH as best as possible until the water freezes and then again when it melts in the spring while the cover is on. I think that I would need to get a robot for this (to move the water around as I add chemicals to manage pH from a small corner of the pool with the cover on and pump off) as my current cleaner is a suction-side cleaner which requires the pump to run. Does that sound like a good approach?

I would really like to have the work done by August 1st, giving me 3 months but my wife doesn't go in the pool unless it is 84 and that requires heat.

Thank you very much for your feedback on this!
David

Just my take on it, nothing ever goes according to plan time-wise. For a pool of that age, there will be issues uncovered during the reno process, I would prepare for that.
In my latitude, pools don't close; construction goes year round, so I'm not up on opening/closing.

I would go forward now and get it over with. It could take 2-3 weeks to complete. For waterline tile and resurfacing it is straightforward but things happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.