Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: too many chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

too many chemicals?

We haven't been able to get chlorine levels to show up at all on the test strips this year, despite adding many bags of powdered shock. Our pool store did a chlorine demand test and gave us the following fix -- add 13 bags of 73% shock and 11 gals of liquid shock. This seems like a lot of chemicals to add all at once. Thoughts?
    19500 gal, AG, built 2006, dreamline sand filter, Northern NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: too many chemicals?

Welcome to TFP!

You probably have a couple of issues working against you. First is that test strips will bleach out at high chlorine levels and show no chlorine. The second is that when a pool has algae or other contaminants, it can consume large doses of chlorine in as little as an hour.

You really need to do two things: First is to get a decent FAS-DPD chlorine test. The second is to add enough chlorine to SLAM Your Pooland keep checking it at least hourly until you get a consistent chlorine reading.

You can find information about recommended test kits at Test Kit Comparison
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to check out while you wait for your kit.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

My thought is that your stabilizer decomposed into ammonia over the winter, in which case HUGE amounts of chlorine are needed. And that's just to be rid of the ammonia. Killing the algae will take even more. But that's just a thought. Without good test results, it's just a guess.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, if you haven't already, scoop everything out of your pool with a leaf rake. That will help the SLAM go faster and use less chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

There's nothing to scoop from the pool. The water looks fabulous, very clear, very "normal" looking. According to the tests done at the pool store, everything is absolutely in perfect balance except for the chlorine. TC is 0.8 and FC is 0.1. From everything that I've read on here thus far, I'm afraid if I add 13 bags of shock, as suggested by BioGuard, my CYA levels are going to become unmanageably high. I'd like some guidance before purchasing and adding all that they suggested.
    19500 gal, AG, built 2006, dreamline sand filter, Northern NY

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't believe no one has said STAY OUT OF THE POOL STORE. They're test as well as the strips are terribly inaccurate. Do yourself a favor and get one of the recommended test kits and take charge of your pool. You will very seldom have to go to the pool store again and save $$ too!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Swimmer View Post
    There's nothing to scoop from the pool. The water looks fabulous, very clear, very "normal" looking. According to the tests done at the pool store, everything is absolutely in perfect balance except for the chlorine. TC is 0.3 and FC is 0.1. From everything that I've read on here thus far, I'm afraid if I add 13 bags of shock, as suggested by BioGuard, my CYA levels are going to become unmanageably high. I'd like some guidance before purchasing and adding all that they suggested.
    Welcome to TFP!

That's why you want to test you own water. Otherwise you will be guessing. Without numbers that's all we can do, and we can't do that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem