Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to use clarifier??

1. Back To Top    #1

how to use clarifier??

How many hours should I run pump with clarifier in it and how long should it sit on off before I vacuum?

Should filter be on filter or whirlpool? Do I add it to shimmer or just put it in the deep end?
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to use clarifier??

Easy, don't use it. It is not a product TFP recommends.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Why not? And is the brand floc or a clarifier?
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

4. Back To Top    #4

Because you don't need it. If your water is cloudy you either have a chemical problem, possibly a low level algae bloom or you have a problem with your filter. Clarifier, when it works is just going to mask a problem that you need to address.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's a good writeup. Also scroll through and see Chem Geek's post in there. Clarifiers and Flocculants...From Another Perspective
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you've already verified that your circulation and filtration are working, that you don't have algae or if you do that you've done a SLAM and the pool has not had any improvement in clarity for at least a week, then if you believe the particles causing the cloudiness are too small to be filtered with your sand filter, then you can Add DE to a Sand Filter for finer filtration.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I've slam it three times. I've opened pool about two weeks ago water was really green. I was thinking of running garden hose in filter in case there is channeling.
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

8. Back To Top    #8

Do I open the drain also or just let the water overflow out of the top? I guess If I open the drain I will loose the sand??
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    I've slam it three times. I've opened pool about two weeks ago water was really green. I was thinking of running garden hose in filter in case there is channeling.
    A SLAM is not a one time addition of high levels of chlorine, but a continuous process that can take multiple days. You've done this three times in the two weeks it's been open?

I recommend you read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

* CC is 0.5 or lower;
    * You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    * The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

10. Back To Top    #10

Based on the statement that you "slam it three times", I have a feeling you are not following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process correctly. Are you saying you have passed the 3 criteria listed to stop the SLAM process on 3 separate occasions?

Just let the water flow out the top: Deep Cleaning your Sand Filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

how to use clarifier??

Did you complete the SLAM? SLAM Is a process, not a one time event. If you follow all the steps to the end, you shouldn't have to SLAM again so soon. Just a thought. Once I finished my SLAM in its entirety, all I've had to do is maintain with minimal effort.

26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

12. Back To Top    #12

This post might be helpful if you are going to deep clean your sand filter
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    Does the 'stuff' in the water settle to the bottom at all? If so vacuum it to waste.

If you did a complete and proper slam the water would not be cloudy. Clear water is one of the 3 indicators of a complete slam.

Please post a complete set of test results so we can better guide you.

After trusting a pool store for two years (and ending up with alge anyway) I've got to say that now that I am using TFPC, my pool has never looked so clean, clear & sparkling.

These guys know what they are talking about, do not put anything else in that pool until you post some test results to see if you need to complete a proper slam.

Do do you have any pictures?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!