Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ecostar vs Intelliflo: High Head Application

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Ecostar vs Intelliflo: High Head Application

Hi guys

Long time service tech here. I have an inground spa on service that has the equipment 100' away and 3-5 feet below water level. It has a Pentair 200 sq ft single cartridge filter (new) and had an old 3HP Whisperflo pump that recently burned out. The system has always run around 30 psi even with a new cartridge and gave acceptable bubbles from the returns. (No booster or blower).

I've had good luck with the Ecostar pumps and figured that it should equal or exceed the old WF but after installing one I have very little flow (32 psi @ 3450 rpm). The pump basket is full, no cavitation, runs smooth, just not putting out like the old WF>

Is the WF a better high head pump than the Ecostar both being the highest powered available? I hope I didn't make a costly (to me) mistake here.

Appreciate any input!

bob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ecostar vs Intelliflo: High Head Application

Hello and Bob! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. Our apologies. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

With no other changes to the plumbing setup besides replacing the pump, if the filter pressure is the same, then the flow rate must be the same.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    With no other changes to the plumbing setup besides replacing the pump, if the filter pressure is the same, then the flow rate must be the same.

But the replacement pump is different! Was old 3HP single speed Wflo, new one is Ecostar xx HP?

thx

bob

5. Back To Top    #5

Does not matter. It is the flow rate that causes the pressure in the filter.
    So if the pressure in the filters the same then the flowrate must be the same.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!