too late for a bench? ready for pebble

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
i could have sworn i posted about this and can't seem to find the answers. there's been so much going on lately i must be loosing my mind. i'm really regretting not putting in a bench in the corner of my 40 foot pool where we'll have an exit. there's an in-floor head prob 5 feet from the corner. i thought most of the responses said it could be a structural problem. i'd hate to even spend the money, however i keep thinking about how nice it might've been to have a bench for an exit on the side where the basketball hoop is and another exit to the pool where we will sit when the other side of the pool is in the sun. :( am i crazy to have them put in a bench now or should i just be glad this is the only thing i regret? so sorry, i think i got responses and can't find them and am so bummed and maybe in denial about it i wanted to check in, again. thx!!!

Can you post a picture here of the specific area for the proposed bench? In general I highly recommend deep-end benches both at 16" (second step level) and also at about 40" (but only if you have the 16" bench next to it). They are so thoroughly used and enjoyed in my pool that I can't imagine it without them. Has the builder given you a quote? It would involve a return of the gunite truck and running rebar into the existing shell to provide a solid connection. I don't see any structural issues holding you back from doing it without seeing the area specifically.
Now is your only chance to do it. At least fully examine the options.

thx! i checked and it'd be a minimum of $1500 and putting a step would be a structural no no. now, as natvtxn27 mentions, more for safety in my husband's eyes and more for convenience to get out of the pool easily and pain free in my eyes and hanging out. we did get marbella so we'll just have to utilize the coolness of it and deal with what we have I think. it's so much $ i'd feel worse about spending that kind of money. we're so far over budget it's not good. i'd hate the idea of an attached step, although, it's a good idea and i wonder if it's something i should consider. could i do that pretty easily later maybe? something else to take care of. really bummed about it but i think it is what it is. good thing is it's only 4' and the corner is even higher. maybe it'll build up some muscles for us to get in and out in this way. trying to see a bright side somehow. the pb said in a rectangle pool they prefer to have them bumped out of the pool so they're not a hazard. i don't think it would've been too much of a hazard but i'm trying to make myself feel better at this point :( plus, i can't get the city out again if they'd have to inspect. they looked at our windows and almost failed us. plus we have a fence going up that wasn't on the permit. :( decision made i think, now. i just have to deal with it

Can you get those built in steps that recess into the gunite a few inches and give you toe grips to get out? That would be a pretty easy fix (for someone with the right equipment). They usually go with a handrail but these could just be standalone.

Why don't you put a few of these 'hand hold' tiles that are (almost) the same color as your finish? These could be used by the kids in case they want to latch on to something, if they get tired.
J04STFY.jpg

bmoreswim, the pb said that those steps would be a structural disaster. i didn't expect that.

trvbm, never heard of those hand hold tiles. that's what they r built for? if shotcrete comes tomorrow might be too late. i think what we mostly want is a place for the feet or to hang out. i can't imagine these tiles could take the weight of a full person? i'm pretty sure my kids will be able to grab on to the edge of the marbella. i'm gonna look these up and see if i can find any info on them, tho!!

At this point it doesn't affect you but I don't agree with the structural comments from the PB at all. Adding concrete and rebar inside of the existing structure has no effect on the integrity if done right. He just didn't want to do it. I don't necessarily blame him. It's a bit of a hassle and puts him more behind, etc.
You will love whatever your end product is, especially when floating!

..... never heard of those hand hold tiles. that's what they r built for? if shotcrete comes tomorrow might be too late. i think what we mostly want is a place for the feet or to hang out. i can't imagine these tiles could take the weight of a full person? i'm pretty sure my kids will be able to grab on to the edge of the marbella. i'm gonna look these up and see if i can find any info on them, tho!!

These are built to be put in-line with the waterline. Not sure about how much 'load' these can take, though.

- - - Updated - - -

... Adding concrete and rebar inside of the existing structure has no effect on the integrity if done right. !
Talked to my friend, who is an architect about this. Said that more than the structural issue, the 'joint' where the two concrete pieces meet could cause long term problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well, thx for the comments and for checking! at this point i need to just try to focus on what i'm glad for i suppose. it's crazy how i partially put my pool in the place i did because of some neighbors whose cig smoke came into my yard and i never planned on sitting on that side of the pool. the mom went to a nursing home and little by little smoke smell stopped. i wish i would have thought things through a little more but the hours i spent on thinking things through over the last year, what can ya do. i only have 3 regrets, and i think that may be not too bad. i would've had a bench, i would've made the stairs side 3 feet instead of 3 1/2 cuz our family r so short, maybe bumped it down 4 inches or so on the 4' side, i might not have gotten UV from the comments here. I might've considered subbing out our own work, but not sure about that one. it's gotta be hard when one crew messes up and then it effects the next crew...

well, thx much! at this point i'll be glad to get water in it, finish getting the fence up and figuring out the rest of the backyard stuff. we spent $6k over budget already so may try to do the sprinklers myself, will extend a porch with old chicago brick ourselves, and might have to do some grading and plans to make an edible backyard. lots to do yet!!!

what was it, 115 today? ready to swim!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.