Aqua Rite cell voltage cycling

Sauna7

Jun 19, 2015
central square ny
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, this is my first post. After noticing some algae in my pool, I checked the Aqua Rite, and saw that the cell voltage was not within the range specified in the manual. The voltage goes up to about 18.8 and then drops down to .9, where it stalls for a moment, and starts climbing again. When it gets to 17.0, the top 2 LED's come on, it then continues to climb to 18.8, the LED's go out, the voltage drops to .9, and the cycle starts again, ad infinitum. This cycle occurs when the switch is off or on auto. I have searched this forum, and did see a description of similar symptoms, but the subsequent postings didn't seem to address the problem. I dont see any obvious damage in the control box. I called the toll free number for Hayward, after reciting the diagnostic values to the "service" person twice, he suggested that I call the people who installed the SWG. I called them, they cant get here for a week, and i'm pretty sure they are just going to want to replace the whole control. It seems like I could get out of this without replacing the control. I'm pretty handy and I got a multimeter and i'm not afraid to use it. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Mine was doing the same thing So I replaced the Thermistor didn't help at all. But if your capable and confident to try and replace it yourself I would try it, the Thermistor is pretty cheap compared to a new circuit board. Only advice I would give is use a heat sink on the Thermistor when soldering in the new one , alligator clip , forceps or heat-sink work. How old is your unite?

Mine was doing the same thing So I replaced the Thermistor didn't help at all. But if your capable and confident to try and replace it yourself I would try it, the Thermistor is pretty cheap compared to a new circuit board. Only advice I would give is use a heat sink on the Thermistor when soldering in the new one , alligator clip , forceps or heat-sink work. How old is your unite?
Try replacing the thermistor again. If you don't get it right, it won't work. Bad voltage is almost always the thermistor.

After taking the board out, I was able to better inspect the components. The thermistor had a crack, and when I removed it from the board, it fell in half. I installed the new thermistor, reinstalled the board, and the cell voltage is now correct. Thank you JamesW for the incredibly fast response with right solution.

SacDave- Four years

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.