Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar valve not opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar valve not opening

Hi All: A few days ago I noticed my 3 way valve was not open to allow for flow to my solar panels. It was plenty hot out and they should have been on. A few questions. What is the best way to test the solar temp sensor? Also is there anything else that could be preventing it from opening? I have the jandy aqualink and everyting is turn on the temp is set correctly. Thanks for your help.
    25,000 vinyl w salt located north nj. Waterfall, spillover spa, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar valve not opening

Have you manually flipped the switch on actuator to make sure it will move?

Does your automaton list the temps for the various sensors?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did flip the switch and the actuator moves easily. My system shows the outside air temp and water temp and the both look accurate. Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

There should also be a solar temperature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a sensor but my PDA dooesnt show the temp. My pda onlu shows air temp (which is located inside my pool shed) and water temp.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, maybe that is the problem?

Your signature is so vague, you should add more details of your setup.

I do not know much about the Jandy system, can you see more info on the controller itself?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

There should be a water temp, solar temp, a target temp and a differential temp.

If water is 80, solar is 90, target is 85 and differential is 4 then the valve will open

If water is 80, solar is 83, target is 85 and differential is 4 then the valve will not open
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

There is a target temp (pool temp) but the jandy does not show the solar temp (unless I dont have it set up correctly). Is there away to test the temperature sensor that is on the roof? Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

You should be able to scroll through the menu to find solar temp, pool temp, target temp. There is a way to test the resistance of the thermistor with an ohm meter, the owner's manual should give you the numbers to look for. I am not familiar with Jandy automation.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

The Jandy control allows you to put in temp 1 and temp 2. Temp 1 is the target and who knows what temp 2 is. I won't tell you my opinion of the guy who designed the jandy controls.

I don't know how to test the temp sensor on the roof.

Is your switch on your valve set incorrectly. Set it the opposite of where it is now and see how that works for a day. It may have been flipped.

Someone here may be able to help -- But -- You may just want to go up and change the temp sensor on the roof and see if that works.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall