Pentair Master Temp Spa Problems

Aug 28, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I have a Pentair Master Temp that runs normally when heating the pool, but when we run it in spa mode the heater will heat for approximately one minute, then shut off for a minute and reignite for a minute repeating the process indefinitely. The pipes do shake briefly, but I have checked my chemical levels and confirmed with local pool store...everything is in ideal range. The thing I'm confused about is why it runs perfectly when in pool mode and not Spa. I checked the flow rate and they were operating at the same rate. I decided to lower the flow rate for the spa mode from 2900 to 2250 and it would only fire for about 10 seconds (maybe less). I then tried it at 3200 and extended the time to about 1:30.

Does anyone have an idea why it's not working in Spa mode?

Thanks for any help.

17,000 gal pool
Pentair Intellitouch
Pentair IC40 Chlorinator
Pentair Master Temp

Southern California Location

I currently have Spa mode running at 3200.

Pool mode is set at 2900 and runs fine. Is there a difference in temp depending on what it's set at? I assume it just heats water at relatively the same temp/rate until it reaches the desired temp. Is that correct? Or does it heat hotter when set at higher temp?

Are you sure you have all valves set correctly for spa mode? What you described is that there is a water flow issue and the heater isn't getting enough flow.

A heater heats water period. It has not idea where the water is coming from or going to. It doesn't output water any hotter if the thermostat is set high or low. It just needs the correct amount of flow to operate.

Has it worked properly before this. Did something get changed recently downstream of the heated? (between the heater and spa) when you say the pump is set at 3200, is this just a setting on the controller or is there flow meter actually measuring the flow output? Do you maybe have an automatic valve that is not opening properly.

Since it works to heat the pool but won't when you switch the valves to spa, it has to be something in the valve settings or as others have said, something preventing the heater from getting water flow.

Can you post a picture or two of your valves and also include how they are set for pool mode and then for spa mode.

Sorry for the late response, we were out of town. Anyway, here are a few pictures of the valves as they are set.
/Users/Krish/Desktop/IMG_1991.JPG

This is the valves set for Pool.
/Users/Krish/Desktop/IMG_1992.jpg

This is the valves set for Spa
/Users/Krish/Desktop/IMG_1993.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having trouble uploading photos,no matter how small I make them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.