Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very disappointed in Jacks purple stuff

1. Back To Top    #1

Very disappointed in Jacks purple stuff

Did a AA Treatment the stains disappeared n looked great til I rebalance the pool. Poured in the required amount of Jacks ( follow up doses every week) and the stains came right back.

I purchased some CuLator on Amazon,I should get it any day now. So how that goes.....
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Very disappointed in Jacks purple stuff

Increase your dose and control your ph -- eg. keep it closer to 7.2ish.

Even the sequestrant cannot control it if your metal level is high and your ph rises a lot.

Also, if you want to try it, you could try Metal Magic and do this SPONGE TEST to see if it will also remove the stain -- it works for me but YMMV: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...96042044,d.b2w
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ethany View Post
    I purchased some CuLator on Amazon,I should get it any day now. So how that goes.....
    If you have ANY issues with the CuLator, be sure to contact the company. Sometimes special procedures are needed and they will walk you through that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually my ph is stable. I keep it at 7.2-7.3 I added borates last year n maintain them so my water is relatively stable. TA never gets below 80-90.

My FC is maintained now at 5 ppm. With a SWG running 12 hrs a day (pump) on low speed.

I really can't afford to keep putting in a ton of Jacks. After I did a successful AA treatment I threw in a Qt. of jacks send then 16 oz. every week in 20k/ gallon pool.

I agree it's prob not enough. It's frustrating because I know the metals will always be there, in water or on walls. Like an ever ending battle, expensive one.

Is Metal Magic a sequestering agent like Jacks? I think CuLator claims it can remove iron out of the water. Not sure if that's a dud too.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

I used to use Jacks. Too expensive. Go to Walmart and buy the HTH metal stuff. It's a phosphonic acid based chelator like jacks. Last I bought was about $8 a quart. It works just as good, at least for me.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

U know I saw that at Walmart and wondered how it was. I'll give it a shot. Will I have to do an AA treatment again to remove stains? That was a process that took a while to rebalance.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ethan's, Metal Magic is the same type as jacks. If you look at that sponge test I posted a link for, you will see in higher doses there's a way to test to see if it will also remove stains.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    I used to use Jacks. Too expensive. Go to Walmart and buy the HTH metal stuff. It's a phosphonic acid based chelator like jacks. Last I bought was about $8 a quart. It works just as good, at least for me.
    Went up in price to $12.86 but still better than paying $25

9. Back To Top    #9

I haven't bought any HTH brand for awhile. I found a cheaper brand at Ocean State Job Lot. I suggested the Walmart brand since Ocean State Job Lot is basically a New England store.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.