Suggestions, SWG or pressure side cleaner?

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
We are currently in the process of having our liner replaced. My husband and I have been talking about a new addition to help with pool care. I have been advocating for a new cleaner while he has been pushing for a SWG system; we're trying to decide what would be the most cost effective route to go as we don't plan on living in this home more than another couple to few years.

Where we currently stand.

18k-21k Gallon in-ground vinyl pool.
Use calcium hypo.
Suction side port.

I feel we should have the pool guys convert our suction side port to pressure when they install the liner and get a pressure side cleaner like a Kreepy Krauly Legend, and continue to use Calcium Hypo.
He suggests converting to a salt water system to cut down on Calcium "dirt" having to be cleaned, and to cut back on the cost of Calcium hypo tubs. He was thinking of a unit like the Solaxx Retro.

Again we're looking for what would be the most economical solution for us for the next couple of years. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be most welcome!

My vote would be for the salt water chlorine generator. It will save you money over the cost of using expensive cal hypo and curtail the problem of "calcium dirt", reducing the need for cleaning. Do you know what you're CH level is at right now after the extended usage of cal-hypo? This also depends on whether or not your current suction cleaner is working or not.

The cost of a good SWG properly sized usually winds up being pretty equal to the cost of Chlorine over the time it will last. I'm betting you are too high on fill water CH to continually use Cal Hypo, even in a vinyl pool, but without numbers, it's hard to say. Being that you've been a member here since 2009, I would assume you know about that. Have you considered using liquid Chlorine instead? It's an Idea, but Salt is a great way to go too. I'm not a fan of pressure cleaners, and prefer Robot over one every day of the week, so if you asked me that's what I would suggest.

The cost of a good SWG properly sized usually winds up being pretty equal to the cost of Chlorine over the time it will last. I'm betting you are too high on fill water CH to continually use Cal Hypo, even in a vinyl pool, but without numbers, it's hard to say. Being that you've been a member here since 2009, I would assume you know about that. Have you considered using liquid Chlorine instead? It's an Idea, but Salt is a great way to go too. I'm not a fan of pressure cleaners, and prefer Robot over one every day of the week, so if you asked me that's what I would suggest.

To answer some of your questions:

We used bleach in our pool for the first 3-4 years. I loved it at first, but then realized we were actually spending MORE money on bleach than we were if we bought a big container of calcium hypo. Our pool gets direct sunlight all day, there is no shade, and it was difficult at times to keep the chlorine level up (even with 60-80 CYA).

Yes, I am sure our calcium levels are off the chart. My pool is swamp green right now, because I didn't want to continue paying to chlorinate it since the water will be drained within the next few weeks when we have the new liner installed. I can get a calcium level though if that would be helpful.

I actually agree with my husband in that a SWG would be a good investment, because it is a bit of a pain having to add bleach or cal. hypo every evening. However, it is also a pain to see dirt and a few leaves at the bottom of our pool at all times because we do not have a reliable pool cleaner.

Let me ask two different questions if you all don't mind:

1. What affordable SWG do you all recommend? How much does a good one cost nowadays?

2. What pool cleaner do you all recommend? I would like something that is able to stay in the pool for the most part and run on it's own timer. We have a dedicated suction side port.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

For about $1000 you can get several brands of SWG's and that should just about cover all the other costs for a installation done by yourself. You can't really go wrong with a Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWG. You will want one that is rated between 40,000 to 60,0000 gallons. You can do a search and find more threads on SWG comparisons.

The most common recommended suction cleaner is "The Pool Cleaner". The original company sold out, I believe to Hayward, and now there are a few designs that are all similar. These cleaners are very reliable and do a good job at cleaning up small leaves and dirt. I've had mine for almost 5 years and the only thing I've done to it is replace the tires one time. I leave the cleaner in the pool 24/7 during the winter as we are not using the pool during the winter and have not experienced any problems. It doesn't run on a timer and I don't know of any suction cleaner that has a built in timer. You will need to turn it on and off the same way as your current cleaner.

Here's how I come down on it:

You need to add chlorine every day, whether you use the pool or not.

You will only see the dirt whenever you use the pool.

Advantage, SWG.

Let me ask two different questions if you all don't mind:

1. What affordable SWG do you all recommend? How much does a good one cost nowadays?

2. What pool cleaner do you all recommend? I would like something that is able to stay in the pool for the most part and run on it's own timer. We have a dedicated suction side port.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

this one is easy :)

Sale on a 60k SWG here, the sale is a free upgrade to the next level SWG only till 30 june 2015...

suction side cleaner: the pool cleaner, gets awesome reviews and will last years Amazon.com : The Poolcleaner 896584000013 2X Suction PoolCleaner for Concrete Pool : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.