Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions, SWG or pressure side cleaner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions, SWG or pressure side cleaner?

We are currently in the process of having our liner replaced. My husband and I have been talking about a new addition to help with pool care. I have been advocating for a new cleaner while he has been pushing for a SWG system; we're trying to decide what would be the most cost effective route to go as we don't plan on living in this home more than another couple to few years.

Where we currently stand.

18k-21k Gallon in-ground vinyl pool.
    Use calcium hypo.
    Suction side port.

I feel we should have the pool guys convert our suction side port to pressure when they install the liner and get a pressure side cleaner like a Kreepy Krauly Legend, and continue to use Calcium Hypo.
    He suggests converting to a salt water system to cut down on Calcium "dirt" having to be cleaned, and to cut back on the cost of Calcium hypo tubs. He was thinking of a unit like the Solaxx Retro.

Again we're looking for what would be the most economical solution for us for the next couple of years. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be most welcome!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions, SWG or pressure side cleaner?

Switching to that pressure side cleaner will require another pump to run it so there goes any costs savings. What is the problem with your suction cleaner?

What is calcium dirt?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

My vote would be for the salt water chlorine generator. It will save you money over the cost of using expensive cal hypo and curtail the problem of "calcium dirt", reducing the need for cleaning. Do you know what you're CH level is at right now after the extended usage of cal-hypo? This also depends on whether or not your current suction cleaner is working or not.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

The cost of a good SWG properly sized usually winds up being pretty equal to the cost of Chlorine over the time it will last. I'm betting you are too high on fill water CH to continually use Cal Hypo, even in a vinyl pool, but without numbers, it's hard to say. Being that you've been a member here since 2009, I would assume you know about that. Have you considered using liquid Chlorine instead? It's an Idea, but Salt is a great way to go too. I'm not a fan of pressure cleaners, and prefer Robot over one every day of the week, so if you asked me that's what I would suggest.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    The cost of a good SWG properly sized usually winds up being pretty equal to the cost of Chlorine over the time it will last. I'm betting you are too high on fill water CH to continually use Cal Hypo, even in a vinyl pool, but without numbers, it's hard to say. Being that you've been a member here since 2009, I would assume you know about that. Have you considered using liquid Chlorine instead? It's an Idea, but Salt is a great way to go too. I'm not a fan of pressure cleaners, and prefer Robot over one every day of the week, so if you asked me that's what I would suggest.
    To answer some of your questions:

We used bleach in our pool for the first 3-4 years. I loved it at first, but then realized we were actually spending MORE money on bleach than we were if we bought a big container of calcium hypo. Our pool gets direct sunlight all day, there is no shade, and it was difficult at times to keep the chlorine level up (even with 60-80 CYA).

Yes, I am sure our calcium levels are off the chart. My pool is swamp green right now, because I didn't want to continue paying to chlorinate it since the water will be drained within the next few weeks when we have the new liner installed. I can get a calcium level though if that would be helpful.

I actually agree with my husband in that a SWG would be a good investment, because it is a bit of a pain having to add bleach or cal. hypo every evening. However, it is also a pain to see dirt and a few leaves at the bottom of our pool at all times because we do not have a reliable pool cleaner.

Let me ask two different questions if you all don't mind:

1. What affordable SWG do you all recommend? How much does a good one cost nowadays?

2. What pool cleaner do you all recommend? I would like something that is able to stay in the pool for the most part and run on it's own timer. We have a dedicated suction side port.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

For about $1000 you can get several brands of SWG's and that should just about cover all the other costs for a installation done by yourself. You can't really go wrong with a Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWG. You will want one that is rated between 40,000 to 60,0000 gallons. You can do a search and find more threads on SWG comparisons.

The most common recommended suction cleaner is "The Pool Cleaner". The original company sold out, I believe to Hayward, and now there are a few designs that are all similar. These cleaners are very reliable and do a good job at cleaning up small leaves and dirt. I've had mine for almost 5 years and the only thing I've done to it is replace the tires one time. I leave the cleaner in the pool 24/7 during the winter as we are not using the pool during the winter and have not experienced any problems. It doesn't run on a timer and I don't know of any suction cleaner that has a built in timer. You will need to turn it on and off the same way as your current cleaner.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Here's how I come down on it:

You need to add chlorine every day, whether you use the pool or not.

You will only see the dirt whenever you use the pool.

Advantage, SWG.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rubygrrl View Post
    Let me ask two different questions if you all don't mind:

1. What affordable SWG do you all recommend? How much does a good one cost nowadays?

2. What pool cleaner do you all recommend? I would like something that is able to stay in the pool for the most part and run on it's own timer. We have a dedicated suction side port.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    this one is easy

Sale on a 60k SWG here, the sale is a free upgrade to the next level SWG only till 30 june 2015...

suction side cleaner: the pool cleaner, gets awesome reviews and will last years Amazon.com : The Poolcleaner 896584000013 2X Suction PoolCleaner for Concrete Pool : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you everyone for your replies! This gives my husband and I some options!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't skimp on the SWG. Go for one 2-3 X bigger than you pool size. It will last much longer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem