Chronic Calcium Scaling

This company says on their website:
"The MPULSE 3000® treats pool water by applying high frequency, low voltage impulses directly to the water to change the calcium bicarbonate form (hard crystals) to a carbonate form (soft crystals) at the molecular level. In the carbonate state, the calcium becomes easier to manage on pool surfaces."

I say SNAKE OIL!

Calcium bicarbonate can ONLY exisit in solution. In solid form (scale or 'crystals' as they call it) it will be calcium carbonate!
Ca(HCO3)2(aq) → CO2(g) + H2O(l) + CaCO3(s).

There is no such thing as crystals of calcium bicarbonate! Also, all chemical reactions take place at the 'molecular level'. Their claims are all pseudoscience and doublespeak!

On another part of their website they talk about the unit forming the aragonite form of calcium carbonate instead of the calcite form. Precipitation of calcium carbonate will form the calcite form unless temperature are over about 104 deg F, and a higher level of magnesium hardness in the water than calcium hardness. Since their unit does not change the chemical makeup of the water perhaps it is only a heater?

SNAKE OIL!SNAKE OIL!SNAKE OIL!SNAKE OIL!SNAKE OIL!

check out this link that debunks this and some other claims made for useless water treatments (including the EcoSmarte ionizer)!

I didn't know where to post it, so I figured here would be good and someone can move it if it's better suited elsewhere

I think waterbear just moved it to the "Uh-oh!" forum

Dang it, waterbear. I ordered seven of those things this morning!........."Uh-oh!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since calcium bicarbonate is soluble in water at around 16.6 g/100ml which is 166,000 mg/l (ppm). In other words, in pools, calcium bicarbonate does not even exist. It is instead separate calcium and bicarbonate ions. There is a calcium bicarbonate ion pair, CaHCO3+, but it is very low in concentration (200 times less than calcium and bicarbonate ions). Just throwing some more fuel to the fire. :twisted:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.