CYA natural reduction rate

Jun 19, 2014
Dallas TX
I'm in the middle of reducing my CYA to appropriate levels. I did a partial drain and refill which brought it from around 120 to 100, then I used Bio-Active which brought it down to 60. Neither of these methods are fun... drain and refill is expensive and wastes my DE. And Bio Active is expensive and has to be used with FC under 2, meaning algae is all but guaranteed.

I'd like to have CYA between 40-50. How long will it take, roughly, for this to happen naturally (evaporation and refill, and rain water dilution)? Or should I bite the bullet and do another drain?

Bite the bullet. We have seen so little success with Bio Active, it isn't worth mentioning. Yours is the most I think we've heard of. Natural Cya reduction happens over time, usually in Algae laden pools over the winter. If you want it down, drain is the only viable solution within reasonable costs. I suppose you can try the risk of more Bio Active, but it's up to you.

If water is available and there are no other reasons not to such as extremely high water cost, restrictions on water use, or the reverse a high water table that makes draining potentially damaging do the drain & refill.

Your 40 point reduction in CYA with BioActive is one of the best outcomes we have seen here. Most have had zero reduction.

I started at over 200 and took over 18 months to get it down through aggressive back-washes, multiple small drain and refills as well as harvesting rainwater from roof gutters.

CYA naturally goes down a few ppm a month. Evaporation does not count, as the CYA stays behind when water evaporates. Only when bulk water leaves the pool by either being pumped out or splashed out does CYA go down.

I'd like to have CYA between 40-50. How long will it take, roughly, for this to happen naturally (evaporation and refill, and rain water dilution)? Or should I bite the bullet and do another drain?

If Texas keeps getting all of this rain, you'll be at your target CYA level in about 2 weeks by the ever-popular "dilution via precipitation" method.

Ok, all joking aside....if you're at 60 now and you want to get down to 50, I'd do nothing. You're already close to your target (and well within the error bars on the measurement). Check it again in a month, or sooner if it rains again, and see where you are.

Thanks for advise. I did another small drain this weekend with a rain coming Sunday. Now happily at 45!!

I haven't read many other bio-active results but I think mine was successful because I had basically 0 FC the whole 7 day period. The water got cloudy and algae began to form, so definitely not a perfect solution.

I haven't read many other bio-active results but I think mine was successful because I had basically 0 FC the whole 7 day period. The water got cloudy and algae began to form, so definitely not a perfect solution.
I think you are correct on the "0" FC being a factor, but I think there are other variables yet to be identified that allow it to work or not work.

If you want to look at them, we put all the BioActive threads in the forum The Deep End

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.