Helping out a friend - stains in the pool.

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
A friend of mine bought a house with an old pool, not a horrible shape, plaster needs to be redone soon and needed a new filter, chlorinator, but otherwise decent. We finally got pretty much everything under control, his chemistry is good, but then he decided to get algaecide and just about next day the dark spots on the bottom of the pool are back again (there were there initially, but almost completely gone away after the chemistry was stabilized.)
So, im thinking the stains are related to algaecide, but I'm certainly no expert...
I'm not sure exactly what all his numbers are right now, but he will test tomorrow and I will post them up once I have them, but the last time I tested, everything was within range, though CYA was a bit on higher side at 60ppm.

c983f4a9a9846efb73e79ce19daf400d.jpg

4b1157fe42b897f1b89629b44cca7f98.jpg

a7e7ad0c88a44d3522f4276d36792571.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Too many cooks spoil the broth" seems applicable. Hard to get a pool correct when you have two people in charge.

Identify the stain.

A puck held directly onto the stain for about a minute will determine if it is organic. The stain will go away or lighten noticeably.

If not, crush cheap vitamin C tabs and put them in a sock and, once again, hold them onto the stain maybe for 3-4 minutes. If the stain goes away it is an inorganic stain (metal)

Post your results

Yes definitely agree. I'm trying to get him to use TFPC method, but he still listens to other folks, so someone said get algaecide, so he did... I finally got him to get a k-2006 kit, but he still uses the strips... SMH.

in any case, I will come by there after work and we'll do the tests as you suggest. I will post the results. Thanks!

Until your friend is willing to listen to what you have to say and follow only your advice the pool will continue to have problems. This particular algacide does not appear to have metals, but they will cause the FC to drop. It looks like it may have had a scale problem at one time.

Thanks. That's what I keep telling him too.

We did the tests yesterday, looks like the large grayish staying all over the bottom is all organic. Though there are some inorganic smaller rust color stains as well especially in his spa.

How do you folks recommend we go about treating this considering large volume of stains?

Also as of yesterday his levels were
FC - 6
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.2 (told him to aerate to get to 7.5)
TA - 110
CH - 320
CYA - 60

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.